Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

On site training

Status
Not open for further replies.

overkill4

Mechanical
Oct 6, 2005
Hey people,

Just trying to get an idea of what the rates would be for on-site 1 on 1 Solid Works training. My cousin is trying to get up and running at his machine shop with a z-corp prototyper but he has no SolidWorks experiance.

He's thinking about 8 hours a week for a couple of months, as he's at the begginers level. What does a Solidworks dealer charge? Private operator?

Thanks for the input.

Overkill

60% of the time, it works every time.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The SW VAR is probably something just under $2,000 USD per session of training--one week--in either beginners or advanced classes.

Some areas also have community college classes for SolidWorks. Both would be off-site training. On-site training would probably be either an independent person or VAR personnel and would vary depending on the individual (most likely).

Jeff Mowry
Reality is no respecter of good intentions.

Anybody know of the cost for independant trainers?

Thanks fo the response Jeff

60% of the time, it works every time.

I have no idea in Vancouver but if I were looking for that in California, I'd be budgeting somewhere between USD50 and USD90 per hour to pay for it.

One-on-one, on-site training is going to be very expensive. It's hard to predict the quality and therefore the value of it.

Personally, I'd forego that expense and just get started with the tutorials. Then, hunt down a book. Then, make model after model after model of anything you're interested in.

Also, download part/assy files from the various sites listed in the FAQ and see how others go about modeling.

My own experience has been that hours spent with the tutorials (do them more than once) and modeling real parts/assys is far better than hours spent in training.

And of course, spend time at Eng-Tips (and especially read all the FAQs)!

--------------------
Bring back the HP-15
--------------------

agreed with beggar- it is a compromise between time and quality. You get more quality info going through the tutorials and building the files yourself, with the disadvantage of not knowing why things fail, and you spend a lot of time hunting down info that pertains to your industry
Trainers can give you targetted training to get you started, but it is expensive and not extremely deep.

The advantage of VAR training is that you will have done almost everything once. You are armed with knowledge of the softwares capability. I would have been alot slower learning this had I skipped the training. I think that the guys at 3dvision tech do a great job in training and service. (shout out to Scott High and Scott Baugh and everyones name that I can't think of at 3Dvision tech).
They are n the tri state area, near Cincinnati. I know that that is no where near where you are. I just want to stress the importance of the tutorials and training.
Prior to this training, I went through the tutorials. This is a must.
I found this for you:
SolidWorks Users Of Vancouver (SUVAN)-September (exact date TBA), Vancouver, B.C., Canada. Contact Don Boyd, Magnum Trailer Inc., (604) 855-7544.

good luck.

dsgnr1

¿)

To get the best from these forums read FAQ731-376 before posting

Overkill,

If I were in your cousin's situation I would hire a consultant for the short term and go to formal training or use the resources from this and other websites. It shouldn't take more than 20 - 40 hours of SWx usage to make good models. I would have him contact his loval VAR for these local resources.

Best Regards,

Heckler
Sr. Mechanical Engineer
SW2005 SP 5.0 & Pro/E 2001
Dell Precision 370
P4 3.6 GHz, 1GB RAM
XP Pro SP2.0
NIVIDA Quadro FX 1400
o
_`\(,_
(_)/ (_)

Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean that they aren't out to get me.

- Woody Allen

IMO - your cousin will have to make a judgement call on a couple of variables to determine what type of training is needed:

-how important is being trained on Solidworks to my business?
-how much do I need to know about Solidworks to do my work effectively?

On-site training from a VAR or consultant is VERY expensive, but can be tailored to suit your needs, and you have the services of a professional to bounce questions off of.

Here in SW Ontario there are community college classes available to learn the fundamentals of Solidworks (1 night a week for 10 weeks type of thing) which are about 1/10th the cost of VAR training.

There is no substitute for roling up your sleeves and getting your hands dirty (Solidworks tutorials, making basic parts, assemblies etc.) but this should be complemented by some sort of formalized training. Just like you golf swing - if you learn things the wrong way, its doubly difficult to unlearn those things and re-learn it the right way. Better to have a "pro" looking over your shoulder to make sure you're on the right track.

He could look at Solid Professor as an alternative. This may not be as good as one on one training but the cot may be less, also may be able to pick and choose what he works on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back