Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

One Arrow Representation For A Half Section 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dsolids

Mechanical
Oct 18, 2005
US
Is it possible to represent one arrow on a half section while in the DRAWING mode? If so, what are the steps?

Thanks.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Sorry. I should have been more clear. I meant the Cutting Plane Line (Section Line)arrow head. A half section should represent one arrow. When I do a half section in the DRAWING file, I am not able to omit or shut off the arrow that does not represent the "line of sight" for my sectional view.

Thanks!

Dan

When doing a section I know in ANSI standard you have to have 2 arrowheads showing the cut through the part in a drawing.

You can't hide the arrowhead if it's suppose to be there per the standard.

Regards,

Scott Baugh, CSWP [pc2]
faq731-376

Per ANSI standard (American National Standards Institute), a half section is represented with one arrow to show the direction of sight for viewing the section. Yes it is true the majority of sections with a cutting plane line (section line) use two arrowheads, but a half section is one of those acceptions. Another example is a broken (partial) section in which there are no arrowheads or a cutting plane line. My point is SolidWorks must have a "work-around" for a half section representation that will truly meet the ANSI standards beyond the ANSI setting within SolidWorks.

I am not trying to prove a point, but it is important to emphasise offical standards at least for instructional purposes.

Again, is it possible to represent one arrow on a cutting plane line (section line) for a half section to represent the line of sight in a "DRAWING" file within SolidWorks?

Thanks.

So far the only way I found to do a half-section is to have the section line step out of the part then contimue outside of the part. Not happy, but I've learned to live with it.

Per ANSI standard (American National Standards Institute), a half section is represented with one arrow to show the direction of sight for viewing the section.
Which ANSI standard are you referring to? I don't recall ever seeing such a section arrow, I'd like to look it up.

I would also like to know which standard allows one arrow. I always thought two were required to define the angle of the viewing plane.

- Any mechanical drafting instructional textbook that is ANSI compliant.

Textbook examples: 1. Technical Drawing by Frederick E. Giesecke, Alva Mitchell, Henry Cecil Spencer, John Thomas Dygdon, James E. Novak 2. Technical Drawing by Goetsch & Chalk. 3. Mechanical Drawing/CAD-Communications by French, Svensen, Helsel, Urbanick.

These are some examples.

Below are some examples: 1. Mechanical Drawing/CAD-Communications by French, Svensen, Helsel, Urbanick 2. Technical Drawing by Goetsch, Chalk 3. Technical Drawing by Giesecke, Mitchell, Spencer, Hill, Dygdon, Novak.

NOTE: I am only refering to a half section.

Here is what the standard says:

From: ASME Y14.3M-1994 MULTIVIEW & SECTIONAL VIEW DRAWINGS

"Half Sections -- The view of a symmetrical object or one very nearly symmetrical which represents both the interior and exterior features by showing one half in section and the other half as an external view is known as a half section. This half section is obtained by passing two cutting planes, at right angles to each other, through the object so that the intersection line of the two cutting planes is coincident with the axis of symmetry of the object. Thus, one fourth of the object is considered removed and the interior is exposed to view. Cutting plane lines, arrows, and section letters may be omitted where cutting planes are coincident with the center lines. A center line is used to divide the sectioned half from the unsectioned half of a half sectional view."

I don't see anything about one arrow.

"Cutting plane lines, arrows, and section letters may be omitted where cutting planes are coincident with the center lines."

Refer to the illustrations. You will never see two arrowheads on a cutting plane line for a half section. At least not in textbooks.

Cutting plane lines, arrows, and section letters may be omitted where cutting planes are coincident with the center lines

[cheers]
Helpful SW websites every user should be aware of faq559-520
How to get answers to your SW questions faq559-1091

Well, perhaps you could hide the section line and draw in a new one with one arrow. Maybe create block of the section line and arrow and put it in the library.

Not teh best solution but doable.

For half sections, I usually don't show the arrow at all (fairly obvious whats happening), or I make an offset section line going to the center then moving out of the part.

Jason

UG NX2.02.2 on Win2000 SP3
SolidWorks 2005 SP5.0 on WinXP SP2
SolidWorks 2006 SP1.0 on WinXP SP2

I am not wanting to debate, but had a question regarding a single arrowhead for a half section whether it is possible or not. The "may be" sure opens the door for debate within ANSI standards.

Thanks for the discussion and the debate.

To my knowledge it isn't possible to only have one arrowhead in SolidWorks. You have to kluge it by adding drawing entities to the view.

In my experience, I have never encountered any half sections with any arrowheads. But I have rarely seen this (half section) outside of textbooks and standards manuals.

OK, i MIGHT BE WRONG HERE, but what I think Dsolid is getting at is he trying to do his a scection line that has his arrows pointing past his section line(cutting line), right?

if so try this in your template or in the properties of the individual drawing file.

Click Options on the Standard toolbar, or click Tools, Options.

On the Document Properties tab, click Detailing.

if you looking to the right and down you should see a check box for "alternate section display" if you check this you should have any current sections on your drawing updateded after hitting "ok" at the bottom.

I hope this is what you ment and it helps I've had the same problem for awhile now and just figured it out today.

If it isn't what you were looking for than sorry 'bout that but mabey it'll help someone that was as frustrated as me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back