One big footing for shear walls and columns

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enger2022

Structural
Nov 29, 2022
CA
Hi engineers,

For shear walls and columns as per the sketch below. I plan to make a big footing for them.
Could you please share some thoughts on how to design it? Thank you!

image0_xrdapg.jpg

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

We tend to model raft footings using 2-way slab analysis software w/ an assigned modulus of subgrade reaction. Make sure your soil springs are compression only.

dijonnaise said:
We tend to model raft footings using 2-way slab analysis software w/ an assigned modulus of subgrade reaction. Make sure your soil springs are compression only.

This is basically what we do.

If you've got a 3D model set up already and really feel like dumbing it down / simplifying things to the extreme, simply looking at moments/bearing pressures in a footing shell directly and assigning reinforcement to meet the required capacity is also a route that can be taken, though we only use that for comparison's sake.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Why yes, I do in fact have no idea what I'm talking about

Thanks for the reply.
Can I ask what program you are using and how you apply the moment on the walls?
Mf and Vf are at the top of the wall.

CSI SAFE is what I use. I resolve moments into discrete point loads along the length of the wall. A useful feature is exporting reactions/load combinations from ETABS into SAFE and then modelling your mat. You typically just need vertical loads from gravity and overturning to design the mat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back