Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

one BOM for several different views of different models 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

ryanmech

Mechanical
Apr 8, 2003
NZ
Is it possible to have several views of several different parts/assemblies listed in the same BOM??

Generally we have just had one assembly per sheet, and its particular parts detailed in the same sheet with the BOM derived from the single assembly. What about if we have random parts/assemblies on one sheet, can they be all on the one BOM????????

For example, we have half a dozen shafts (parts) which we would like to be on the same sheet, but they are from differing assemblies. We would also like to have one BOM for all the shafts on that sheet. Previously for this situation we have used a manually generated BOM.

Thanks
Ryan

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Thanks Scott

I am always weary about creating files that are not part of the over scheme.

So i guess i will go back to doing a manually generated bom, or when i have several assemblies on a single sheet, i will have several boms on that sheet.

thanks
Ryan

dyesst ... Is what possible? The original question was answered by SBaugh 20 Jan 05 16:16.

[cheers]
Making the best use of this Forum. faq559-716
How to get answers to your SW questions. faq559-1091
Helpful SW websites every user should be aware of. faq559-520

Gidday Dyesst

I guess CorBlimeyLimey is grumpy this morning/afternoon/evening.

I have not found any ideal ways of getting around this yet. (I have been looking for a couple of years). As far as my situation is concerned the ideal solution would be for a BOM to be able to be referenced to several views at one time. And the listing of the several Assemblies/parts would be displayed as indented, similar to what sldwrks does currently for BOM for subassemblies within a view.

It seems that a BOM will only be able to be referenced to a single view, whether it is an assembly or part in the view.

I have been trying to ensure that i do not require a BOM for several views, by having drawings which include only one assembly view, and all other views on that drawing being parts related to that assembly.

But in cases where there are too many parts to fit on a single drawing, you could use multiple sheets.
Say for example, you could have the assembly on the first sheet, with several parts detailed on that sheet. Then on the second sheet have the other parts detailed, and third sheet the same and so-on.
On the first sheet have a BOM, but only have the items that are detailed on that sheet included. On the second sheet, insert a BOM which is referenced to the assembly view in the first sheet, and only include the items which are detailed in the second sheet. (same for other sheets). This way the BOM details for each item are only included on the sheet that has a detailed view on it.

If there are subassemblies within the main assembly which the said BOMs are referenced to, we have been detailing the subassembly in the first sheet's BOM - with a reference to another dwg. (not another sheet within the main assembly dwg) Thus we are not detailing more than one assembly on a single drawing.

Dyesst, I hope i have explained it clearly, if not contact me and i will supply you with an example.

As for drawings which have parts that are unrelated,ie. all shaft details for a large project on a single drawing, require a manual BOM to include all the details of the shafts in a single BOM. (As far as i know at this stage)

Hope i have been helpful

Regards
Ryan

Grumpy? Well according to the official & indisputable source, (my wife) yes, I am a "Grumpy old fart" & getting grumpier as the years roll by. [lol]
... but with regard to my last reply, No ... I was just confused because the original question had been answered & working alternatives were proposed.

The reason SW doesn't do what was originally asked, is because what was asked, is not a recognised usage for a BOM. An assy would normally be on its own sheet with its own BOM & parts would not normally be detailed on the assy sheet ... & should not require a BOM anyway.

[cheers]
Making the best use of this Forum. faq559-716
How to get answers to your SW questions. faq559-1091
Helpful SW websites every user should be aware of. faq559-520

I agree with CBL, I thought this thread was finished. Maybe should be a new thread with a twist to the question?? Maybe?

Chris
Sr. Mechanical Designer, CAD
SolidWorks 05 SP2.0 / PDMWorks 05
ctopher's home site
FAQ371-376
FAQ559-1100
FAQ559-1091
FAQ559-716

Doesn't having multiple configs in the model cover this? If assemblies share any components at all then configurations seem like a reasonable answer, the suppression or BOM display state can just be toggled for the appropriate parts/subs in the appropriate config.

The way SWX looks at configs seems like it is designed for this - to have multiple arrangements of the same things displayed seperately on a drawing, but included in the same BOM.

gidday engalright

yeah thanks, i use configurations for drawings, to not include certain parts in different boms. i.e some parts suppressed in some configs. engalright, do you use the boms as i do - multiple sheets for assemblies with lots of parts- bom on each sheet referenced to assembly on first sheet?

But the need for a bom (in our case), to be referenced to several views is dictated by the fact that our drawing standards specify that the bom detailing a part must be on the same drawing sheet as the part is graphically detailed. This is a manufacturing driven spec, due to the fact that the machinist has a requirement of only looking at one drawing to find the cut-lengths/sections/material/heat-treat/coating etc for each item.

In general i try to have one assembly per sheet, with all the parts associated with that assembly graphically detailed on that sheet. The bom would be referenced to only one view --> the assembly, and all the parts would be detailed in the bom on that sheet.

But when there are too many parts to be detailed on a single page, thats when the combination of our drawing standards and solidworks bom conflicts. There are ways of getting around this by as previously mentioned creating a config and placing the assembly view off the sheet, and having the bom referenced to that view, or putting the parts that are detailed on the sheet into another assembly, and putting the new assembly view off the sheet, and having the bom refernced to that view. The problem is that this is not ideal...greater file size/extra assemblies. The best solution i have found so far for my situation is as previously stated in another post, to have one drawing with several sheets if required. the first sheet has the assembly view on it. some parts are detailed on the first sheet, the rest of the parts are detailed on the following sheets. Each sheet has a bom and all bom's are referenced to the first sheets assembly view.

Regards
Ryan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back