One or Two Anti Surge Valves for Two stage Compressor? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Midan

Mechanical
Jan 17, 2012
NZ
Hi all,

I have a question about the number of Anti Surge valves for Multi stage Compressor (in one casing or in separate casings but driven by one driver)
What is optimum in operation, one common Anti Surge valve or multi Valves (one for each stage)
My feelings is that one for each would be more safe and easier in operation, while some collegues recommend one common for simplicity of the package and lower capital cost.

Your Opinions are much appreciated.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

the request is not clear; please clarify. if a PID is available, please attach.

are the compressors in a series or parallel installation? sidestreams?

the entire process/application needs to be evaluated.

-pmover

Thanks pmover
the two compressors are in series and no side streams and it is for pipeline application.

Regards

Traditionaly, you only got 1 antisurge valve on the final discharge which would cover several bodies in series. Nowadays, with more sophisticated interstage flow measurement and controllers, separate antisurge valves for each have become more popular. It is important to remember that it is not the whole compressor that surges - only an individual wheel, often the first wheel in the first stage.
For a pipeline operation with fairly steady operation, I would go with 1 antisurge unless the compressor manufacturer says otherwise.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back