Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

One SCADA or OPC for multiple brand PLC's

Status
Not open for further replies.

ELEphilippe

Electrical
May 5, 2003
CA
Hi, I would like to know if someone knows a SCADA and/or an OPC server than would be able to communicate with Siemens (s7-200 cpu224(2.0),s7-200 cpu224 (1.0)), OMRON (cqm1 pa203, cpm1a, c 28 k), Telemecanique (tsx 17) and Allen Bradley (micrologic 1000) PLC's and a VB program. I'm not sure I fully understand what an OPC server is and do so feel free to clarify it for me. I would also like to know what communication or converter hardware/software I would need to do so.

Philippe St-Pierre

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

SCADA is basically an HMI application that brings data to the user in a format that is understandable, Such as Wonderware, Ifix, Iconics, ect. Now these applications need to access data from sources such as PLC, Smart Sensors, microprocessors, ect. Now this is done most commonly one of two ways. First the oldest way witch was to use embedded drivers, if you had Ifix you would buy an Ifix with an AB driver. With this method no other applications could talk to the PLC. And if you changed HMI you would also start every thing from scratch and buy a new driver.

Now with DDE and OPC the driver is independent of the HMI any application can now access the data in the PLC through the driver at the same time if you change HMI no need to change drivers.

Now DDE vers OPC. DDE (Dynamic Data Exchange) this allows multiple applications to share data most commonly in its raw state. If the data had to be scaled each application would have to scale it. Each application could have its own name (tag) for the data point.

OPC ((OLE (Object Linking and Embedding) for Process Control) the driver holds the tag name and value and performs all scaling required in one spot. Now if you have more that one brand SCADA system all variables are the same. Most OPC compliant applications have built in browsers to search for OPC servers and then browse for points on the server.

Softwaretoolbox has a server TOPS (AKA Kep ware) that can handle all the PLC you mentioned some could even be on the same comport (not recommended). Although you will have to pay for each protocol, all protocols will be on one OPC server (The driver comes with all protocols you simply unlock the ones you pay for.

AS for the PLC hardware just call each distributor and ask. I could list stuff like the MPI HMI adapter for the S7, but you would have to call and order one anyway. Most distributor have tech staff for this very thing. Don’t let each distributor talk you in to a different OPC server though.

If you need I can get more specific.

ELEphilippe,
I guess this is a continue for your later questions, I want to inform you that I'm with Macbeth reply and want to add that what you are facing is mostly one of the common problem engineers face every where to automate a different brand PLC's in one site. as Macbeth said I think that most of those PLC's would have driver I guess but every one you would contact will try to guide you to his brand so to exactly take a decision for HMI system you want put in consideration following:-
-The software that comply to your application and have all the drivers will be easiest solution.
-If none have complied your request go in two way
1- try to find within the supplier of unmatched PLC a communication processor to link this PLC to standard communication protocol such as ModBus, ProfiBus or Ethernet which are the most common protocols now days but it might be tricky.
2- replacement for PLC's that doesn't have driver support and always try to standardize your site, which mean take general look on your site and decide the most important application , put in considration total number of stations from each brand at the same site, total I/O's and Complexity of systems, then decide the PLC brand you do the change over to it as by this way it will be easier in maintenance, spare part storage etc.
it also important to know if the brand you have choosen will give you locally enough support or not.
hope this will help you.
Best Regards
Ahmed

Kepware is a good OPC server and you can download the drivers and try it for free. As far as a SCADA is concerned, Try CITECT. You can download it and all its drivers from and also try it for free. Both these apps will run for a limited time for free to let you test them.

Not to throw some extra stuff for you to look at, but if you are looking around for a good scada system, you might want to check out GE Fanuc's CIMPLICITY software. I am not sure if communicates to all the devices you mentioned, but it probably does. The great thing about CIMPLICITY for you application is they use VB as their scripting language which should make integration easier for you. I think Wonderware also uses VB under the hood for it's scripting and is probably the biggest in the business.

Good Luck,
John Salls

P.S. The links are:

Good Luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back