Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

One way Slab System Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

CorporalToe

Civil/Environmental
Mar 9, 2024
CA
Hello, I am designing a CLT one way slab system. I was wondering, do I need to account for the load the slab will transfer to the edge beam? Like I know in theory we don't consider the beam carrying load however in real life it will carry something is it okay to neglect it?

Screenshot_2024-03-23_131407_poirnz.png

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You're not neglecting that portion of the load. Just assuming that it goes somewhere else. Right. I'm no expert on CLT. But, if I understand it correctly, CLT genuinely behaves like a one way slab. So, I wouldn't get too cute with my load attribution.

If that edge beam were designed to 99.9% of capacity, then maybe you have a point. But, I'm not sure it makes much of a difference otherwise.

Once you connect the CLT slab to the edge beams then the edge beam will take some of the load even the CLT slab is a one way slab theoretically. Considering you are not using the edge with full utilization, I would not be worried about it. Havings said that , you should model your CLT with the edge and main beams in FEM and see it so that you can be more comfortable in the future. You can use RFEM 5 or 6 for that. Also I would design the CLT slab as a continious piece over the beams so that your beams are taking the loads accordingly because I do not think that they would be constructing each bay seperately.. Maybe discuss that with the contractor first and then design it based on that ..

To an extent CLT has two way spanning capabilities. So often I'll design the edge beam for a couple of feet of trib width, just so I know that it's got some capacity. Often those beams are used as chord members for your diaphragm, so be sure to check them appropriately if that is the case in your scenario.

Most CLT has meaningful two way spanning capabilities. I'll design the girders as if it's truly one way spanning and then design the edge beams for a triangular bit of load reminiscent of how we used to do things for concrete systems pre FEM.

For a situation like that, I would normally include a tributary width of about half the slab span.

-----*****-----
So strange to see the singularity approaching while the entire planet is rapidly turning into a hellscape. -John Coates

-Dik

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back