Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Onion Type dead end for multistrand system

Status
Not open for further replies.

PSR_1

Civil/Environmental
Aug 9, 2016
ET
Hi Guys. I was wandering if it is practically possible to use onion type dead end anchor for multistrand system applied to a beam. I am talking about S12( 12 strand anchor), S15, S19 or above. The constraint in my mind not use onion type is compaction of concrete ( since multiple onions would be stacked in a small space for a beam) and I have never applied it so wouldn't They be bursting. Please share your practical experience, if you have done it before?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I have done it many times, especially for 12 x 1/2"Φ strand multi-strand tendons. It is important to use a spacer plate at the onion fixed-end to ensure that the "onions" do not overlap, and you need to design the local and general zones reinforcement similar to other end zones.

VSL Technical Report #3 "Detailing for Post-Tensioned" has some relevant technical information of this subject. See attached file.

Screenshot_2024-09-08_101152_v14rvg.png

Check with you local PT installer company in you region to verify local practices. It is of no use specifying something if it typically is not used in your area.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back