Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

online analysis of vapor stream 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

jesspo

Chemical
Jun 8, 2007
US
Thank you in advance for any help you may offer.

I am attempting to quantify a particular component in a vapor stream. Very little is known about stream, basically all that is known is the temperature(180F)and that it does have flow. I would like to get a representative sample for GC analysis, and a representative flow rate either in cfm or lbs/min. I feel with these two number I should be able to get a fair estimation of how much per minute of said component is passing by.

A small description of the process setup, 2 streams enter a tank one is all vapor of a small flow rate, and the other is a slurry vapor mix. The tank is vented directly to a blower with 10" induction and 12" exit. This 12" line is insulated and is directed into a Combustion feed duct. There's a 6" atmosphere vent which can be opened but usually remains closed. NO instrumentation on any of these lines whatsoever(the tank has a temp and level indicator).

My idea is to Tap the 6" atmospheric vent and get samples from there, then insert a hot wire anemometer into the sample port to get a representative flow(port being at least 20 diameters from nearest elbow). However I don't have a hot wire probe and am hoping there is a cheaper just as accurate alternative.

I think there has to be an easier way, but perhaps not.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Let me get this straight.... You are proposing to insert a hot wire anemometer into an unknown vapor stream whose ultimate destination is a combustion point?

rmw

bah that makes it sound bad, the stream is combined with the Air feed to a combustion chamber, the major constituent is air, there are small amounts of ethanol and water among other things. A sample analysis will show me more, but i didn't think a RTD based anemometer would get hot enough to ignite it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back