Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Online Building Code Resources

Status
Not open for further replies.

KevinChez

Structural
Oct 6, 2013
US
Hi...I recently noticed that some state codes on the ICC website require a paid membership to view?

I recall always being able to access the codes for free?

UpCodes allows me to view the NY state codes but I have to pay to see the diagrams and details.

California has the codes on their .gov site for free viewing.

This is mostly an observation. I don't have a question other than are you paying a monthly or yearly subscription to access codes online?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Upcodes is separate from ICC and offer 'interpretative' diagrams with the code for a fee. As I understand it any table that is part of the code is viewable but they add some for reference.

codes.iccsafe is the ICC site and they have a subscription that lets you download and print I believe.

I last used a hard copy of the NY code, but I honestly thought every one was free. That's ridiculous that you have to pay for the diagrams. NJ is fully accessible for free.

This is why I just download the PDF's online. So much of a pain navigating that ICC website something anyway.

I think they're as free as they've ever been.
ICC site
Not as easy as a hardcopy or pdf, but the table of contents is in the left sidebar.

Agree with kipfoot's link. It has diagrams. Here's NY:
NY
NYC

I haven't printed codes in a while. I don't think these are easily printable, but I don't see a need to.

One thing to note on the ICC site is that paying gets you access to the commentary as well - that is the real value in my opinion (although being able to copy and paste is nice as well - I usually just snip an image when needed, for this situation though). I do not pay for a membership but I have done the free trial they offer.

UpCodes, which does come up for some codes as the first item in some google searchs makes you subscribe for some diagrams. The actual codes are always free to view on ICC website. Advanced searching and commentary are paid though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back