Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Online Masters of Civil Engineering

Status
Not open for further replies.

joemock

Structural
Dec 29, 2004
US
I am considering a Masters of Engineering through an online program offered by Norwich University. Norwich is a 'real' university in Vermont (i.e. not a Phoenix type) with an ABET accreditation. The program is composed of 1/2 engineering coursework (structural) and 1/2 program management. It is advertised as being developed based on recommendations from ASCE. I haven't found another online program that offers an ABET accredited, Master of Engineering program with a structural track. I'm trying to weigh the long-term gain against the time sacraficed with my family.

Questions:
1. Has anyone heard anything good or bad about NU?
2. With 15 years in the field, a P.E. and recently going to work for the govt; does it make sense to go forward with a Masters in CE? Would an MBA be better? Either way I am limited to an online degree. The value of an MBA seems to be very closely tied to the school awarding it.
3. For those in the position of hiring, does a Masters of Engineering take a backseat to a Masters of Science? It appears that the former is more practical rather than theoretical since the M.E. does not require a thesis. Is an advanced degree a big consideration after a certain amount of experience (i.e. do you not care about a graduate degree after someone has been in the field for 15 years)?

Any input is appreciated, I posted this in the structural engineering forum as that is the field I am working in and plan to continue with. My next step up in the government will be an engineering supervisor (graduate degree not required).

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I contacted Norwich about 2 months ago. I have their info about the program. It looks like a good program. The degree will say Master of Engineering not On-Line Master of Engineering. Norwich is a respected, accredited school. I may still pursue a master's at some point and it will probably be through some on line offering unless I move to a state with a better engineering college.

yachtdr,

Thanks for replying, I'm surprised no one else is in our boat. I checked out NU's website, it was actually the first private college to offer an engineering degree in the country, 185 years ago.

The program requires a 1 week residency at the university upon completion of all coursework. I have not found another school that is ABET accredited and offers an online masters with a structural track (they also have an environmental track). The degree is the same degree students receive if they were to attend classes on campus and there is no annotation in your records indicating how the degree was obtained. I guess what I'm saying is that it's up to you whether or not your employer / perspective employer knows that your degree was earned online.

Having said all this, I am also a firm believer in "If something seems to good to be true...". Obviously a degree from a well known graduate school would be preferable and about the same $'s and if you're going to expend all this effort it had better count.

I was hoping an HR savvy person would weigh in on this discussion.

I also looked into the school, and came away with mixed feelings. It is pretty expensive compared to a lot of universities. I didn't like that it was all or nothing, if you wanted to transfer credits, they generally do not participate because they feel their course is set up differently. They actually do not offer a graduate degree in structural, except for online. The professors are not Norwich professors, but are located around the US. These things might concern you, might not, but wanted you to know the whole concept. I was interested in the program, but since they would not transfer my credits (from another ABET school) I decided against it, and did not have the $26K for the school right now. Look on this site, there is another subject where several people discussed the course.

You may also want to check the University of Missouri - Rolla. I know they have a geotech masters online. I'm not sure about structural.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back