Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Online Power System Protection courses

Status
Not open for further replies.

rockman7892

Electrical
Apr 7, 2008
US

Does anyone know of any good online Power Systems Protection courses that are offered. I'm interested in taking a course in power system protection, not necessarily towards pursuing an advance degree but rather just taking this class to gain a further knowledge on Power System Protection.

Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I should mention, I have not yet taken those courses, so can't say if they specifically are good. I'm earning a Masters degree through their outreach program, but have only taken two courses so far. I have been very happy with those two courses though, and have worked with the professor who teaches the two protection courses. That school seems to put a lot of emphasis on their distance learning option, and the professors are happy to spend some time on the phone to answer any questions you have.

I can vouch for the UofI program mentioned above. Did the whole Masters thing through the Engineering Outreach program, including the courses mentioned.

Wow, I didn't realize my alma mater (check my handle) was so popular. I took ECE525 as a technical elective during my undergrad and I can vouch for the courses, especially if you have limited exposure to protection principles. They also bring in guest lecturers from SEL (who are in Pullman) quite regularly.

I have taken courses through Michigan Tech and University of Idaho's outreach programs. The courses at Idaho are well organized but their isn't close to as much class discussion (student emails) as in the ones I am taking at Michigan Tech. There are a lot of students at Mich Tech that have been in industry awhile. It is always interesting to hear their take on things. I have also had problems at Idaho getting the profs to respond to my emails but when they have they were very helpful. Both universities have live and pre-recorded from previous semester classes. Something is always lacking when you are taking a class that is pre-recorded. Either program though I feel is pretty solid and you'll get a lot out if you put time and energy into it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back