Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Online Timber & Masonry Design Course (or books) 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

BurgoEng

Structural
Apr 7, 2006
US
I'm looking for a correspondance / on-line course to take to learn timber design and masonry design. Not necessarily from the same school or class. I have recently changed jobs, never having had to design with either and now my new job will require much in the way of both timber and masonry design or at least analysis of existing conditions.

Does anyone know of on-line courses that offer this? Or perhaps at least good reference books to purchase so I can teach myself as much as possible?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

"Reinforced Masonry Design" by Schneider & Dickey is another great reference - it's out of print and based on older codes (last revision was '93) - but it's well written with concise examples and should give you a good grasp of fundamentals. Amazon is selling a paperback reprint, in case you can't find an original.

Also, don't forget to go straight to the source - for learning wood design you'll need a copy of the NDS, even if the office provides them it's cheap enough that getting your own is helpful.
The main thing your new office will need to help you with is what species/grades of wood are generally available in your area.

In addition to the links SlideRuleEra posted, there's also a lot of good info on wood trusses at WTCA's site:

Be sure to check out this page on my website
"Wood Frame House Construction, Hand Book No 73" is a classic reference (in zipped .pdf format)
On my homepage, see "Pole Building Design - Patterson"

other references
"Wood Structural Design Data"

"Timber Bridges: Design, Construction, Inspection, and Maintenance"
Don't be mislead by the title, Chapter 5 "Basic Timber Design Concepts for Bridges" (135 pages) is as good as any BASIC text book for designing with wood - and not just bridges.

At the American Wood Council, be sure to check out these free downloads

"Wood Frame Construction Manual Workbook"
"Wood Construction Data Series"
"Technical Reports"
"Design for Code Acceptance Series"
"Code Conforming Wood Design Series"

also
"Residential Structural Design Guide: 2000 Edition"

On wood, that together with JMorrison's suggestion to get the NDS should keep you going for a while.

... or you can come to Charleston, SC this fall to take my planned continuing education short course "Introduction To Wood Engineering" [bigsmile]

[reading]

Great references guys. I had a few of the books on the list i started already, but now that list got a lot bigger. Thanks for help.

ASCE has a three part video course on wood and currently offers a seminar on wood design. Check their website for prices and dates.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back