Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Onsnap?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amacdes

Mechanical
Dec 28, 2001
AU
When drawing a line in Autocad I can draw it either
Horizontal, Vertical or unrestricted. I can switch
by using ortho (F8) Is there a command in SW which does the same? I have scoured the manual to no avail.

Allan

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

By default, SW tries to snap entities in place. If you want to draw an unrestricted, simply hold the Ctrl key while creating the line.

DimensionalSolutions@Core.com
While I welcome e-mail messages, please post all thread activity in these forums for the benefit of all members.

When you go to sketch a line in SW it will indicate if you are vertical or horizontal with a “V” or an “H”. It is hard to visually tell when you are correct without this due to the fact you are working in a 3D environment and therefore what you perceive to be vertical or horizontal may in fact not be true. So look for the indicators when you sketch your lines. I hope this was of help.

Regards,

Dale Rhinehart

SolidWorks is like a box of chocolates...
you never know just what you're gonna get.

[2thumbsup]
Read my profile & make me an offer... now!
tatejATusfilter.com[/u]​

What are doing drawing in 2D (drawing)? I hope your not trying to use SW like you would draw in AutoCAD. That kind of defeats the purpose of using SW.

If you have Auto Relations turned on and you draw a horizontal line (Meaning you drag the line out as close to horizontal as you can get it) Then a little "H" will show up where your Mouse pointer is located at the time. Works fine here. Maybe you need to update to a new SP if your not already on SP4.

If you want a line you can move around without H or V relationships then draw it at an angle unattached from all other lines, arcs, etc... Then you can drag a point to where you want it.

No offense but, You might need to learn the Essentials. Sketching in SW is a Primary essential! Once you understand how to do it in a part, then it will be the same for all other aspects of SW. Only difference between a part, assembly and a drawing is that in a drawing you can't extrude anything.

I Just thought of something (and you never specified this) - If your not in a drawing and are in a part using sketch lines. Then of course it will be 2D and that's sketching in SW. SW starts out 2D and takes that 2D data and turns it into 3D information.

Your mouse pointer will let you know whats going on, keep a close eye on it. Have you went through the online tutorial? that will help you understand sketching in SW too. Also check the help on sketching.

Regards,

Scott Baugh, CSWP[wiggle][alien]
3DVision Technologies
faq731-376
When in doubt, always check the help

I am in 2D because that is what the manual plus tutorials
recomend (see manual). None of the tutorials start in 3D
sketch. As for checking the manuals and tutorials - I have.
One of the problems is that SW use the same old tired
examples year in year out.
I am currenly looking at 3 solid modeling packages
and will buy one in the near future but as I am a sole trader with a family to keep I cannot drop everything and
have this as a sole focus.
People like me are of little interest to the retailers
as their entire concept revolves around how much are you spending. In most cases the manuals are very poor and the
training courses incredibly expensive (SW is $2500 for a
three day course plus the loss of income) and when the course has finished, then what? Multiply this by 3.
I have to do all this assesment at home after work
and I am away from home for 12 hours most days and as the retailers help desks are a 9-3 set-up they are of no use. I live in Brisbane Australia and none of the packages have user groups so that avenue is closed.
So as u can see its an uphill battle but I will get there.
No offense but if the manuals and help were of any use re this problem I would have at least half a dozen
answers by now.
Anyway guys thanks for replying and over the last couple of posts you have been a great help.

Regards Allan

Hi Allen,

Good luck with the switch to a solid modeller from ACAD, all I can say is stick with it - we have a few ACAD born and bred guys here that have made the switch (Solidworks in this case)and would never go back as it suits what we are doing perfectly.

In regards to your question the above posts are quite correct.

I have come across this same question, it turns out the operator was sketching on a plane - however the model had been rotated a bit, the operator manually rotated the model back to position and he couldn't seem to get the little 'v' and 'h' to appear on the cursor where they ought to.

This because the plane was still slightly askew - clicking the "Normal To Sketch" view icon solved problem immediately.

djw

If you want to see if there is a "H" or "V" relationship do a disply delete relations or just pick the line and see what existing relations there are. From there you can (picking the line) you can add an "H" or "V" if you need to.

You didn't specify whether you were in a part, assembly or a drawing. I assumed you where in a drawing because you refered to AutoCAD. Most ACAD users go right to the drawing and start building from there. That's the way I started my last post with that impression. You just were not very clear when this post first started so it could have been taken anyway. (I should have asked earlier, I guess) You would notice that I did finally think that you maybe not be in a drawing, but in a part. I did acknowledged that. But if the above posts don't help then you might try reinstalling because when your sketching either the Auto relations are on or off there is no in between on that.

[red]I am currenly looking at 3 solid modeling packages
and will buy one in the near future but as I am a sole trader with a family to keep I cannot drop everything and
have this as a sole focus
[/color]

That's great glad to see you test driving it. Again you didn't specify that you were only testing driving it that's why I suggested a training course.

I too have a family and understand that. I'm just trying to help you out.

[red]In most cases the manuals are very poor and the
training courses incredibly expensive (SW is $2500 for a
three day course plus the loss of income) and when the course has finished, then what? Multiply this by 3.
[/color]

SW training manauls are very good and descriptive, much better than their help file IMO. I don't know about Australia, but here in the states you can get 3 courses cheaper than that. That loss of income could be made up, when you finish a job quickly with design intent, presitge and a good over all look. Then if you struggle through trying to build a part, assembly or drawing and comes out looking rough, not robust, and just late because of your struggle. Not saying you would do it on purpose or anything like that. Just that you would be under skilled. You can't rely on NG's to get you out of a bind. You can only rely on yourself (but I don't need to tell you that).;-)

[red]I have to do all this assesment at home after work
and I am away from home for 12 hours most days and as the retailers help desks are a 9-3 set-up they are of no use. I live in Brisbane Australia and none of the packages have user groups so that avenue is closed.
[/color]

I work my arse off too, since my wife can't work because a bad car accident a while back. I'm going to have to start looking for a second job to pay the bills. and I put 45+ hours per week at a minimum. That may not be as much as your putting in now but I will be putting that many hours in plus more probably. If that happens I'll never see my family. Your not the only one hurting out there.

[red]So as u can see its an uphill battle but I will get there.[/color]

I totally agree I'll get there too even it kills me.

I didn't mean to offend you in my last post and I don't mean to offend you now. I'm only here to try and help new SW users and old alike.[2thumbsup]

Time to go clean the yard up [cry]
Best Regards,

3DVision Technologies
faq731-376

After reading your post djw, it made me think of something that it might be.

Do you have Solidworks 2D Emulator checked? If so, you won't get a "H" or a "V" when dragging and dropping lines that just appear. Turn that add-in off and try it out.

To turn off an add-in go to Tools\Add-ins

Best Regards,

3DVision Technologies
faq731-376

OK. So you are in a PART (not a DRAWING as we suspected). And you are making a 2D sketch from which you will create some solid geometry .... good. So the guys are correct - you don't have to tell SW in advance which "type" of line you are creating. Just watch your cursor (you should ALWAYS watch your cursor in SW - it tells you lots of useful stuff as it goes along).

Try this for a demo. Select the insert line icon and click somewhere in the middle of your screen, now stretch the line out and keep you finger on the mouse so you can swing it around in a circle without pegging down the other end. Watch the cursor as you go by the horizontal and vertical positions (12,3,6,9 o'clock) and you wil see the little H or V pop up. If you let go while it is showing, you will get the appropriate relationship on your line(watch for this in the property manager display for the line). It is really nice and you don't have to keep on preselecting vertical/horizontl/free, etc. Takes a little getting used to when you come from a different CAD system user interface, but you will get to like it real quick. For example, you can "freehand" draw a prefect rectangle without a grid in just 6 mouse clicks (command icon, plus 5 locations).

Also note this if you are drawing a line and want it to be say, horizontal AND the end coincident with an existing entity: As you stretch out your line towards the other entity and see the little H, suddenly as you approach the entity, it changes to an orange colored blob. That means you are going to get an automatic coincident relationship, but it will still be horizontal as well (as long as you don't jiggle it up and down too far at the last minute).

BTW: Having been through many CAD systems over the years and trained and supported many people I always offer this advice. Try to forget how the "old" system did things and do not try to relate the "new" one to it. Their methods will be different (over-all probably neither better nor worse, just different). Try to learn the "new" one from scratch along with its methodology.

3/4 of all the Spam produced goes to Hawaii - shame that's not true of SPAM also.......

Good luck to you too Scot. I only wish you and your family
Well.
We have another problem here
(Queensland) with a lack of engineering activity
plus there are too many systems on the market. I have used cad over 15 years and have been heavily involved with user groups. But that was in Melbourne where is for more oppertunity due to greater manufacturing base hence more
chance to exchange ideas. That were forums like this
are so important.
Like a lot of people we have moved to Queensland for
the lifestyle in much the same way as people tended to
drift to California in your country. So its my lifestlye choice and I have no regrets and no doubt Ill get there.
As far as SW is concerned I have no doubt whatsoever
it is the way to go.
I was interested in your remark re "what am I doing in 2d sketching" I agree with you I should not be there and
wil ignore tutorials that say differently as I think there a few outmoded exercises. (I have a 1997 SW manual with the
same exercises as are in 2003)

Thanks guys Scot was right Emulatorwas ticked in add ons.
I would never have found that.
Still take your point about drawing in 3d.

Thanks again
Regards Allan

ps you will no doubt hear from me aqgain

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back