Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Open a CATPart from CATProduct Spec 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bennyk

Mechanical
Oct 29, 2002
US
When loading a CATProduct the spec and geometry include all the parts.
Now, I want to select from the spec (or geometry) a single part (or sub-assembly) and open it in a new window so that I won't have to open it with the Open... function.
I want to isolate the part from the rest of the assembly without using hide/show.
Thanks,
Benny

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hi Bennyk

Use the desk (File - Desk) when the product is loaded this will show the file structure for the product. Right clicking on a node gives a context menu from which you can open a child file.

I hope this is what you want.

Pete

I know about the Desk... option but unfortunately when you hightlight the part in the assembly it's not highlighted on the Desk view. I thought that there's a direct way of doing it from the assembly.

Thanks for your answer.
Benny

Hi Bennyk,

At this time there is no way of opening a part up by
selecting it in the assembly spec tree.
I have heard through the grapevine that this option will
be in V5 Rel.11
For the time being you can either use the DESK option or EDIT LINKS.

Cheers
Jakey

Why is it that you would do this? Do you want to change the specific part? Do you want to make a new part from the specific part? Or do you want only to view this part?

Handling large assemblies with an extensive spec tree when checking/modifying/viewing a single part (or small sub-assembly) is not easy.
One option is to hide the "unnecessary" parts but it's not easy to handle that and the entire spec tree is still shown.
One important reason is when you receive an large assembly from a supplier/custoemr and investigate it....

Benny

Use the EDIT LINKS pulldown and go to pointed documents and select load, this will load the CATPart in a new window, any changes you make to the CATPart in the window will also happen in the ASSEMBLY window, this is how you can design in context and have a clear view of a component.

I found that using the Edit/Links/Pointed Documents is currently the easiest way to open an individual part from withing an assembly.
Thanks for all the replies.
Benny

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back