Open Edges

Status
Not open for further replies.

Uka

Mechanical
Dec 15, 2003
US
I have SolidWorks2003 version.
Without my intention, a solid part has open edges... Is it possible to convert them to tangent edges? If so, does anybody know how??

I would appreciate any kinds of help!
Thanks!!

Uka

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

What exactly do you mean? I will "make an ass out of you and me" and assume an interpretation.

If you have gaps in your sketch contours (or extra lines!!!), you will need to find these and fix them manually. There are several tools to assist in this. Having found the villains, if you have gaps and you want to close them up, you need to be careful what relationships you have in the sketch. Try Add Relationships and selecting two end points that should join and using "merge". As i said it depend on the current relationships as to what result you get. Just remembe it ain't the computer's fault if it goes wierd on you. If you REALLY want a TANGENT ARC you will ALSO have to select the arc and the other entity and use "tangent"

Having said all that, perhaps you need to look at some tutorials, help, whatever, and bone up on your sketching technique so you don't get the gaps in the first place. It's mainly just practice and technique. Your VAR might be able to help. Sometime just having an expert look over your shoulder for a few minutes can work wonders.

Be naughty - save Santa a trip.

You can accidentally turn a solid into a surface model by right-clicking on a face and selecting delete. This deletes a face, leaving behind a surface body. To fix it, first look in your feature tree for a DeleteFace feature. If you have done this by accident, you can just select that feature in the tree and delete it. If, however, you needed to delete that face (maybe an import part with a bad face for example) you can fix it by:
1) Right-click on one of the open edges, and pick Select open loop
2) Click Insert, Surface, Fill
3) You may need to play with the edge settings & options.
For smooth transitions to surrounding faces, select tangent for the edge option.
For sharp transitions (like a side of a cube) select contact.
4) Select "Merge result" & "Try to form solid" checkboxes
5) (Cross fingers for luck &) Click OK

Iteresting, dhinners. Never committed that particular faux-pas myself yet. Have done most of them though :)

If you notice quick enough and see the features change to surface bodies or what ever in the tree, you could always try "undo".

Be naughty - save Santa a trip.

Tools\Check will help determine where the problems are in your model.

Regards,

Scott Baugh, CSWP [santa3] [americanflag]
CSWP.jpg

faq731-376

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back