Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Open in read only mode

Status
Not open for further replies.

caddone

Mechanical
Jun 1, 2012
US
Is there a way to open an file in read only mode ?
I don't intent to make changes while I have it open and at the same time have the file available for others who may want to open in writable mode.

In our office we use a spread sheet parts log file and more than 20 guys use it. If I am using it to just reference or read or search some data in the file, its not Avilable for others to write into it.

Any solution ?

Thx

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Excel Help -- Open Read Only said:
When you open a file as read-only, you are looking at the original file, but you cannot save changes to it.
1.Click the Microsoft Office Button, and then click Open.

Keyboard shortcut To display the Open dialog box, press CTRL+O.
2.In the Look in list or Navigation pane, click the folder, drive, removable media (such as flash drive, CD, or DVD), or Internet location that contains the file that you want to open.
3.Click the file that you want to open as read-only.
4.Click the arrow next to the Open button, and then click Open Read-Only.

Give the Excel help a try. It's pretty good.

Best to you,

Goober Dave

Haven't see the forum policies? Do so now: Forum Policies

It's in the help files:

Use a shared workbook to collaborate
Show All
Hide All
You can create a shared workbook (shared workbook: A workbook set up to allow multiple users on a network to view and make changes at the same time. Each user who saves the workbook sees the changes made by other users.) and place it on a network location where several people can edit the contents simultaneously. For example, if the people in your work group each handle several projects and need to know the status of each other's projects, the group can use a shared workbook to track the status of the projects. All persons involved can then enter the information for their projects in the same workbook.

As the owner of the shared workbook, you can manage it by removing users from the shared workbook and resolving conflicting changes. When all changes have been incorporated, you can stop sharing the workbook.

TTFN
faq731-376
7ofakss

You can also leave the file available for other by using the "New" function in Windows Explorer. Instead of double clicking to open the file, right click, then select New. I make a habit of opening most files this way so that I don't accidently over write the original if I save the document when closing it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back