Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Open Source Composite Laminate FEA

Status
Not open for further replies.

rga_96

Aerospace
Nov 19, 2018
FR
Hi all,

I am trying to arrive on a tool to use for FEM of an aeronautical structure.
My company is quite small and thus has a limited budget so we are trying to avoid software such as Nastran, Ansys, Hyperworks, etc

So far the best I have found that allows for laminate modeling is Mecway using calculix as a solver.

However I have heard better things of Code_Aster compared to Calculix.

Anyone found a way of simulating complex shells with applied composite layups in Code_Aster?

I haven't been able to find any information online but I know it is possible by direct input in the solver. However there doesnt, seem to be any interfaces which drastically increases the complexity and time spend per simulation.

If anyone know other open source tools they've used for composites that would be helpful

Thanks in advance

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

CalculiX is a good option and also follows the ABAQUS input approach. One thing that is different about CalculiX is that it expands all elements to solid elements, which can sometimes be an issue.

Another option is MYSTRAN ( The input deck is similar to NASTRAN and it uses standard types of elements (beams, shells, solids). There is an open source version, but that is a bit older than the compiled version on the website.

Both CalculiX and MYSTRAN are great programs.

Brian

May I ask how you use Calculix for composite analysis?

Is there a good GUI to use on a .stp file or will it require high level coding?

Also have you had any experience using code_aster for composites? Is it viable as a tool to model a small aircraft entirely made of composites?

Mystran looks very interesting i will try to run some simulations on it

Thanks in advance

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back