Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Opening drw files

Status
Not open for further replies.

rocksolid2

Industrial
Oct 23, 2002
GB
Hi everyone

Is it possible to open a drawing file without the part files present to go with it? The file previews fine and shows all the details but on opening the views disappear after prompts and I can't find out how to get them back! Sure I've done it before but cant remember how!

Regards

David

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You have 2 options here:

1.)
When creating the drawing, create it as a Rapid Draft drawing. This format allows you to open and edit the drawing without needing to load the part and/or assembly files. (but some drawing operations such as creating a section view still require the files to be loaded)

2.)
Open the drawing as View Only. This allows you to view and zoom and print the drawing. BUT, you cannot edit the drawing in any way. You cannot measure anything, insert dimensions, or change the drawing in any way.

When making a new drawing the "Create Rapid draft" check box becomes available to your lower left corner. Check that if you want to create a new RD (Rapid Draft) Drawing.

If you already have a drawing made and you want to convert it to RD.

1) click on open
2) File of type set to Drawing
3) Find the drawing and highlight ONLY!
4) look below at the boxes and find "Convert to Rapid Draft" Check that box.
5) Click Open
6) Once Open go to the FM and RMB the file name and uncheck "Automatic view update"
7) Save and close file.
8) click Open icon, find the file and highlight
9) Look at the below check boxes again. If you see a "Load Model" then the drawing has been converted to Rapid Draft.
10) Open the file and you should see a blue dashed line surrounding the view. That is another indication that the file is RD.

I hope that helps,

Scott Baugh, CSWP[wiggle][alien]
3DVision Technologies
faq731-376
When in doubt, always check the help

Ok, I've jst had to go back and try this again, but when I try and convert the file to rapiddraft it still asks me to find the part files associated with the drw. file which I do not have. As I skip through the prompts telling me that Swx cannot find the associated files I get to the final view that is just lots of nice blue bordered boxes?? I have no drawings. The view only option works fine but now I need to drop these drawings into something else and am finding it increasingly difficult to do so.Any ideas anyone?...

Just to elaborate on what TheTick said:

To CREATE a RapidDraft drawing you still need all the part and assy files available.

To OPEN and work with a drawing that has ALREADY BEEN CONVERTED to RapidDraft, the part and assy files are not needed.

Without reading the replies...
Rocksolid2, I do this all the time, you just have to right click in the drawing area, then click "EDIT SHEET"

you are in sheet format if they disappear like that,

hope this helps

BTW: The basic reason is that drawings are essentially live (ie. associative) snapshots of the real models. Kinda like using you video camera real time. If the actor leaves the scene you don't see them anymore. If you record some pictures of them, that's all you get - images of what they used to look like. There are advatages and disadvantages to both scenarios. Thankfully, we are able to switch more or less at will. If you call the actor back you can update the scene.

3/4 of all the Spam produced goes to Hawaii - shame that's not true of SPAM also.......

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back