Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Opening Files

Status
Not open for further replies.

JAB1961

Industrial
Dec 21, 2004
US
I got a new computer and I have a hard time waiting for files to open, it will take 30 seconds or longer to open any file (word, excel)even if it is just sitting on my desktop.
I share an office with another person who also got a new computer of the same type, he seems to have no problem opening files.
I noticed if I open a file and then close it and I re-open that file within 5 seconds it will open right away otherwise I wait the 30 seconds or longer.
I have a HP computer 2.4 GHz 504 MB ram running windows XP and Microsoft Office 2003.

Any idea what is going on?

Thank you.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

JAB1961,

Ctrl+Alt+Delete will open the Windows Task Manager. Select the Performance tab and then open a file that is known to open slowly. Watch the CPU usage in the Task Manager. If the CPU usage is high then shut down any firewall and anti virus programs and then re-open the same file. If CPU usage drops significantly then you know where to look for the cause for the high CPU usage.

Servo

MY CPU usage does not change it stays between 0 an 4 %.

I can not install that other program, I do not have admin. status. we do not have an IT person here they show up when needed and my boss does not seem to think this problem is worth the call in.
I posted this on TEK-Tips.
Thank you!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back