Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Opening SW just brings me to Email Client 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

dcmoore

Mechanical
Dec 8, 2004
CA
with SMTP:performance@solidworks.com In the send to field.

Anyone experienced this problem. nothing has been changed on the computer since i used SW yesterday.

SW 2006,

Windows xp pro.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I don't know why it has changed, but go to Tools > Options > System Options and deselect Enable performance email

[cheers]
Helpful SW websites FAQ559-520
How to get answers to your SW questions FAQ559-1091

I would love to try that but i'm actually not able to open solid works.

it opens email client and if i A) send an emial to performance@solidworks.com it sends and then doesnt open SW. or if i cancel the emial it still doesnt open SW.

Check in the Task Manager (Windows) to make sure a session of SolidWorks isn't still cranking along in the background. I've had this happen before. Shut it off with End Task if you find it, then restart SolidWorks.

Otherwise, reboot and try again.

Jeff Mowry
Reason trumps all. And awe trumps reason.

Oops, of course. [lol]

If Theo's suggestion doesn't work, RMB on the SW shortcut & (under properties) make sure the "Start in" path is correct.

Failing that, a repair os re-install may necesssary. Check the FAQ section for specific advice.

[cheers]

You don't have to repair the installation to turn off performance e-mail. If you have access to the registry just change the value of the "Email Enabled" key in this location:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\SolidWorks\SolidWorks 2006\SW Event Log

to zero.

Sweet. thats what i was looking for :)

thank you very much

JAVELIN is not getting me the information I need.

eng-tips is much better. im still waiting 6 hours later for them to figure this problem out. they are our support/dealer for SW haha

IJITS they are.

thnx

I agree that this forum is often faster than some VARS, but I'm suprised that you feel that way about Javelin. I (& others I know) have always had great service from them.

[cheers]

dcmoore,

how about giving whichever of these suggestions that worked a star (bottom left corner of the post that was helpful -- it says "Thank _____ for this valuable post")? I know you aren't supposed to solicit stars, but since I didn't have a clue how to handle this, I'm not soliciting for myself. Does that make it legal?

It's kinda' like the piece of candy after achieving a certain weight loss...

Garland

Funny you should mention Javelin dcMoore - they are our VAR as well and I contacted them about this problem as well about 2 months ago. Their recommendation was to login to the machine under a different windows profile, which also worked, but was a big PITA to do every time it happened (because I had to log in under the windows secure admin account, which a user can't do).

I have one user whose computer continuously resets itself to enable performance e-mail, so I set him up with a REG file so he could reset the key above on his own.

dcmoore & engAlright ... you should let Javelin know the fix/workaround. It will:-
1) help them help the next person with the same problem,
2) let them be able to pass on that info to SW for a permanent fix,
3) put them in your debt, so you might get better service next time.

A win-win situation all around.

[cheers]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back