Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Operating cost & installation cost between vertical and horizontal pressure vessel. 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

balamech

Mechanical
Oct 3, 2008
IN
Hi,

I like to know the operating cost & installation cost between vertical and horizontal pressure vessel. Which one is better for process.

Regards,

J.Balasubramanian.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Depends on the process and many other variables you haven't bothered to tell us.

We're good, but not mind readers.

Remember - More details = better answers
Also: If you get a response it's polite to respond to it.

Hi,

I can provide the information whatever i am having. It is a storage vessel. There is no process requirement for this particular vessel. It is located in refinary field. Size is approx 2.5m OD x 6m LG / Height. Let us know do you need any other information require.

Regards,
J.Balasubramanian.

"Pressure vessel" is such an amorphous term. If you are talking about a 2 phase separator, then operating cost is essentially zero. If you are talking about a contactor, then you operating cost is a function of the power required to pump the working fluid, energy required to regenerate the fluid, and the cost of making up lost fluid. Pretty wide range.

If you are looking for a general rule of thumb that you can apply everywhere to every possible configuration then you really should just make up a number--it will be as close to correct as anything we make up for you.

David Simpson, PE
MuleShoe Engineering

In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual. Galileo Galilei, Italian Physicist

If you have space and all it does is store liquid, then horizontal tends to be used as you don't need as strong foundations to prevent it toppling over due to wind / seismic load etc

If you need to lift the liquid level to get NPSH then vertical might be better., but in general horizontal will be cheaper and easier to install than vertical.

Remember - More details = better answers
Also: If you get a response it's polite to respond to it.

Hi All,

Thanks for the response. I am also having same thought (Horizontal) based on below points.

Wall thickness may be increased based on Static head consideration, wind, seismic load etc.
Foundation needs to be provided heavy based on vessel weight.
Installation is difficult while in vertical.
Access is harder

The above points are applicable when the space is not a constraint.

If there are no other criteria, just specify the volume, go out for quotes, and let the fabricators pick the most economical configuration.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back