Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Operating Lithium Batteries In Cold Temperatures

Status
Not open for further replies.
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Why do you need to do that? There are already commercially available blinking "ice cubes" which are actually plastic, and are simply dropped into the drink just before giving the cube into the drink.

What you seem to be describing is simply taking your circuit and freezing ice around, which raises a number potential issues:
> possible shorting out of the circuit
> cleaniness of the circuit -- once the cube melts, you've got a naked circuit swimming in your drink
> asthetics -- once the cube melts, you've got a naked circuit swimming in your drink; I think most people would view this as a conceptual failure

TTFN
faq731-376
7ofakss

Need help writing a question or understanding a reply? forum1529

Of course I can. I can do anything. I can do absolutely anything. I'm an expert!
There is a homework forum hosted by engineering.com:

This is not for drinks. It is for a large ice globe for decoration.

I would obviously have to seal everything up to avoid short circuits.

It takes a while for a globe that big to freeze, and I want to be able to make them well in advance. Hence why I can't use one of the commercially available ice cubes, since I would need to turn it on at the beginning of the process, during which time the battery would run out.

I just want to know how a lithium-ion battery operates at freezing temperatures.

I know that cold temperatures will impact the performance. What I'm asking is *how* it will affect performance. Will the voltage drop? By how much? I need to know that to design the circuit.

Holy shit you're obnoxious. I came to an engineering forum because I would like the help of an engineer to decipher this information. I have no idea what battery these images are based on. They start out at above 4V, so obviously not the one I'm using. If you're not going to help, please go away.

If you had already done that, then you should have said so. No one can read your mind or know what you did prior to your first post.

TTFN
faq731-376
7ofakss

Need help writing a question or understanding a reply? forum1529

Of course I can. I can do anything. I can do absolutely anything. I'm an expert!
There is a homework forum hosted by engineering.com:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back