Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Operator Training & Safety 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

sampi

Chemical
Jun 22, 2005
ZA
I am, once again, thrown into the deep end!

I am in charge of training and safety of a new plant. I have to train the operators and other personnel concerned with safety. What I have is operational procedures for all the units on the plant as well as a simulator to simulate conditions and operations on the plant.

I have to come up with a curriculum (outcome), them a syllabus (what needs to be covered) and then work out lectures. Where do I start?

The only "training" experience I have is the part-time lecturing ICP-N3 at a college once.

ANY inputs will be much appreciated!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

First I want to say that it would be good if you tell us what type of plant you are working in. The more you tell, the better the answers will be...

What I would do in your situation is find out what the hazards are in your plant. These should have been identified during the design of the plant.

When you have a list of the hazards, you describe for every hazard what the consequences can be in case the hazard is released, and what the protection strategy is. Usually there are several protection layers for every hazard.

The operators must be aware of the hazards inherent to the plant, and must know how to protect against these hazards.

In a hydrocarbon processing plant, one of the major hazards is often the presence of large quantities of flammable material. These can result in pool fires, flash fires, vapour cloud explosions etc. The protection strategy involves the drainage system, fire and gas detection system, fireproofing, fixed water spray (deluge), monitors, mobile and portable equipment etc. You can detail out each layer of the protection strategy (e.g. location of fire detectors, what types are used (e.g. IR/UV flame detection) and how do they work, are there any trips activated by the detection system).

Don't forget the common hazards such as falling from heights, asphyxiation hazard, vessel entries, hazards related to traffic, slippery surfaces, legionella in stagnant water lines, extreme weather conditions etc.

I wish you good luck with this interesting assignment!

The process gasses are SiH4 (silane) and H2 and N2 that is used to flush the lines & equipment from time to time. Silane itself combusts spontaneously when it come in contact with aair (O2). To make things worst it is mixed with H2!! In the vent the "dirty" silane is burned yielding SiO2 (s) that is formed in to "phases", a submicron smoke (0.1-0.01 micron) and and dust that cling together. I haven't done any experiments, but it looks as if the SiO2 forms as ~40% "smoke" and ~60% "dust".

What I CAN tell you is that we seperate the Silane isotopes (which is the SiH4-28isotope and the SiH4-30isotope)to produce a very pure silane isotope (that is used to manufacture a super homogeneos silicon for the computer industry). The only process gasses is H2, N2 and SiH4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back