OPEX COST - what elements to consider?

Status
Not open for further replies.

chemks2012

Chemical
May 15, 2013
GB
Hi all

I am working on a FEED stage of a project and I want to estimate operating cost (OPEX).
Agree, from name it's evident that operating cost e.f. Running pumps, compressors and utility cost should be considered at the least. What else should be considered please?

Any example template would be helpful.

Thanks
KA

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Also included in OPEX would be all preventive maintenance costs, costs for planned annual shutdown and maintenance turnarounds(exclude production loss), wages for staff and contractors, insurance, annualised plant asset depreciation. There may be many others.
If there are JV partners, total OPEX cost would be split out between JV partners as agreed in the JV operating agreement.

It may be an interesting discussion with the local tax authority and the JV partners on how decomm costs and site remediation at the end of plant life are to be treated.

Thanks all

I guess, it will also have cost of utility and power etc? Where I work, these are the two biggest elements while raw materials is very cheap.

Thanks
KS

Yes, any imported utilities would be part of "raw materials". When considering imported utilities, some sales contracts for these utilities are based on " take or pay " basis. What you dont use below a certain consumption, you still have to pay!

I would also include all commissioning and operational spares during project life cycle - filters, seals, valve kits, etc.

Vendor support might also play a very important role. This includes startup assistance, future maintenance (e.g. turbines, compressors, Mol Sieve changeover). Some plants I worked in have a continuous vendor support crew on site (GE turbines, Nuovo Pignone compressors, Solar turbines etc.).

All permits (annual or one-time) as well. This should also includes all fees arising from environmental emissions.
Specialty chemicals - corrosion inhibitors, Molecular Sieve, TEG, etc.

Dejan IVANOVIC
Process Engineer, MSChE

@chemks2012

Do you want to calculate an average OPEX, or you need a more accurate OPEX calculation? e.g. function of when spare parts need to be purchased based on vendor recommendation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back