OPGW wire 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

mel127

Electrical
Dec 13, 2007
US
HI All,
There is an ongoing construction to build a ballfield. Steel poles are being installed for the lightings and it was found out that these poles are near the transmission lines.(about 4 feet). Our best option is to install new poles parallel to the existing to meet the code requirements.My question is can I leave the OPGW wire on the existing pole and just transfer the transmission line. I am trying to get away with additonal cost for fiber splicing,enclosures and other miscellaneous materials. Or is it required that this OPGW must be installed with the transmission line. I know it add protection to the lines.

Thanks in advance.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Do I understand that the transmission line is being moved to make room for ballfield lighting poles? I contend that the best solution would be to redesign the ballfield lighting and leave the transmission poles where they are.

jghrist,
the contractor didn't notice this until they're done after they set the pole foundation(can you believe that!).

david,
can i just install maybe a dummy pilot wire on the new poles to serve as lightning protection.am i violating any codes?

mel127,
What voltage line are you dealing with? Re-routing an existing transmission line can get very expensive, even a small portion of the line. Are these wood, steel, lattice tower or concrete poles? Will additional right-of-way need to be purchased? What kind of guying issues will required to re-route the line? These are just a few of the "hoops" to jump through to move the line, not to mention any regulatory issues, etc. Have you spoken to the utility or owner of the line?

jmmee97,
all these issues are covered since we are the one maintaning the utilities. the customer are on top of the situation since they want this ballfied finished on schedule.anyway im just thinking of putting a static wire(copper) on top of the new poles to serve as lightning protection.relocating the existing pilot wire seems a big task not to mention the huge cost that may incur.

A galvanized steel shield wire on the new poles will provide the necessary lightning protection. Make sure it is grounded properly and connected to the OPGW at the end poles (connecting to the same ground lead will do).

the contractor didn't notice this until they're done after they set the pole foundation(can you believe that!).
You guys don't have enough juice. ;-) I worked on a 115 kV transmission line once in Colorado Springs where the contractor put a large steel pole angle foundation in the wrong place, too close to a state highway. The municipal utility had enough juice to get the state to relocate the highway!

jghrist,
does galvanized steel shield a requirement? i ask that because i have lot of copper conductor(4/0 awg and 1/0 awg)that was left over from previous project. instead of buying a new one might as well make good use of it.

Thanks

mel127, no offense intended, but you are making me more and more nervous. Please find competent local help to get this sorted out. Tips over the internet are no substitute for the aid you need and you are dealing with things that can get people killed or cause major problems for the utility if not dealt with properly. Please find someone who does transmission line design who can help.

Copper is fine if it has adequate strength to be sagged less than the transmission conductor. You need to make sure that clearances are maintained at all loading conditions. If it's soft-drawn copper there is probably a problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back