Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Opinions about ProMEchanica / ProEngineer

Status
Not open for further replies.

bkal

Structural
Feb 27, 2003
GB
I am considering to get a Structural & Thermal Analysis module together with ProEngineer, in order to run FE analysis of components (mainly linear anlaysis, potentially with buckling). I have not come across this FE software before and would like opinions regarding its usability and reliability (it claims advanced p mesh refinment etc. and I am a bit doubtful about automatic refinments). Thanks in advance

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hello bkal,

for linear static analysis Pro/Mechanica is a good choice.
For buckling analysis (nonlinear behaviour) it's poor.
The automatic refinement is due to the polonomial order of the elements, not to the mesh.

Hope this helps.

Greetings Tamlin

bkal,

Please see the FAQ P-Elements(faq828-810) from the PTC: Pro/MECHANICA Forum (forum828). There have been many threads in that forum and the PTC: Pro/ENGINEER Forum (forum554) on these topics.

Best regards,

Matthew Ian Loew

Please see FAQ731-376 for tips on how to make the best use of Eng-Tips Fora.

My understanding is that ProMechanica doesn't allow any non-linearity in the problem. This may not be relevant for structural analyses, in most cases, but is relevant for thermal problems where most problems will require some kind of non-linear boundary condition or material property.
If a prgram you buy doesn't have a feature you can guarantee that before long you'll need that feature.

corus

Corus,

Pro/MECHANICA can support non-linear analyses for contact and large displacement. Please check the PTC website for more information.

Best regards,

Matthew Ian Loew

Please see FAQ731-376 for tips on how to make the best use of Eng-Tips Fora.

My understanding is that ProMech contact is frictionless - this may not matter in your application if the assembly is well-lubricated or contatc is mainly normal, with negligible sliding, but otherwise it can give significantly nonconservative results so should be used with caution...
Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back