Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Opinions / Facts - New Small-Bore Valves installed into existing "tested" piping assemblie

Status
Not open for further replies.

NDTHAND1992

Mechanical
Apr 9, 2014
US
Good Morning All,
I have a question concerning small bore threaded valves that seem to keep coming up over and over again and I am having a hard time finding anything specific either in B31.3 or PCC-2. If I have a piping circuit that was already tested and placed into service for a period of time, and the SB threaded valve needs replaced, am I required to perform a new Leak Test just on the valve? New Valves are purchased being manufactured and tested IAW B16.34 and API 598. I have watched many plants just grab another valve out of inventory and install, when questioned about the test requirements the response usually is along the lines of the valves are already tested at the factory and all the piping is already test per B31.3 so we are good.

Opinions?

Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

IMO, the new valve itself, as replaced in-kind, should have the same pressure rating as the existing valve and good for the piping operation. The "test" as required is intended for ensure the pipe-valve connection is tight and leak free.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back