Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Opinions on this column base

Status
Not open for further replies.

CTW

Structural
May 30, 2002
US
I was looking at a recently constructed lean-to steel building and noticed that the column base plate did not have any anchor bolts. Apparently, the plate has a few hooked anchors welded to the bottom and embedded in the slab. The columns were welded to the plates which are not more than 1/2" greater in width/depth than the column section. Just curious if others have seen this used on a building.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

This is unusual and not desirable for a building. The base plate will not end up at desired location and angle after setting of concrete - this is the drawback.

But where erection tolerances can be set higher - temporary sheds/ towers as per SlideRuleEra's example or other such structures, I can understand the usage. What is the building where you have seen this?

BFN

What is the use of the building, in the UK we have different standards for industrial/commercial than we do for agricultural. That detail would be acceptable for a cattle shed but not a factory unit!

This is not an uncommon detail. I have had occasions where it was desired that the base plate was to be located at the top of slab but they did not want the ugly appearance or tripping hazard of the exposed anchor bolts.

I don't like it from the construction stand point of properly locating the B.P. then having to field weld the column. I've only used it on lightly loaded small columns.

I have seen this in Texas in application were store owners did not want to have exposed anchor bolts and desired to get shed of the column block outs. It works but like those before me i do not like it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back