Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Opinions RTO for Thermal Oxidation

Status
Not open for further replies.

93Buckeye

Chemical
Feb 1, 2004
US
I am involved in a project that will need to replace a straight thermal oxidation system that generates steam with something that does not. We have looked at RTOs, but there are some concerns over the poppet valves and the capability to reach 99% DRE. Has anyone in the group had experience with these types of systems? How reliable are the poppet valves? Uptime is critical to our permit to operate, so we are a little weary of them. Thanks.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

93Buckeye,

Suggest you chat with Adwest in USA - we work with them in selling Regenerative Thermal Oxidisers in Australasia.

Contact either Brian Cannon at NY office adwestny@adelphia.net or Joe Terry In California at adwestusa@ioc.net

I hope this helps

ctairman

A well designed and well built RTO will achieve this type of VOC destruction. The RTO is widely used in the EU due to the fact that air pollution regs over there are both demanding and rigidly enforced. I believe that the latest update in the EU moves to 15 mg/m3 allowable out the stack, and their are RTO system suppliers who have achieve < 10 mg/m3.

several European suppliers to suggest are

and a US supplier is

RTO's are certainly capable of acheiving the 99% DRE you seek. The reliability factor on these units is also pretty high. You are right, for certain processes the poppet valves can be troublesome. Particularly if you have particulate or highly variable operating regimes. Can't be more specific since you don't specify more about your process. The best advice I can give you at this time would be to develop your process information and operating requirements accurately and then submit them to several manufacturers' asking for not only quotes, but guarantee/warranty documentation, similar experience and maintenance requirements. For manufacturers, check the internet. The manufacturers mentioned in other responses are all capable of providing what you seek, barring specific process problems not evident here.

You should check on MEGTEC.com web page they currently supply an RTO system to Australia with an embedded boiler in the RTO producing superheated steam.

If you want to try something unique, try using a gas turbine as your oxidizer, and put a small catalyst on the back end. The fuel to the turbine would allow you to generate power, it will destroy VOC, and you get some power and heat. It depends on the plant design (how much air you process and facility power needs), but its a neat concept.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back