Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Optical flow and tracklets

Status
Not open for further replies.

LillyGal

Computer
Aug 14, 2012
MT
Hi,
I am using a traffic video - and obtained the motion vectors by means of optical flow. Now i want to extract tracklets (small tracjectories) by temporally connecting motion vectors e.g. at pixel level.
How may I do this please?
Also, how may I save the tracklets values after? as i am unsure of the best way to do this.
Thanks alot
Lil

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Did you ask your instructor?

TTFN
faq731-376
7ofakss

Haven't got one as I'm doing this on my own.
I don't want anyone to give me the code I just want advise on how to proceed... then i'll try and figure it out in matlab :)
Cheers

well loosely speaking you need to find the tracklet in the next frame that starts where the tracklet in the previous frame ends. Since I don't have much of an idea what form your data takes, that'd be as much as I can guess.

So

for each tracklet at time t, identify the location of the end of the tracklet, and then look in the data for t+1 and find the tracklet that starts near there.

Cheers

Greg Locock

New here? Try reading these, they might help FAQ731-376

How many "tracklets" are we talking? dozens, hundreds, thousands?

In any case, as Greg as stated, the object is to correlate each tracklet in each frame with its counterpart in each subsequent frame. This is typically based on comparing the various parameters of each tracklet, such as position, speed, size, etc., and assigning a score for each comparison that allows the tracker to automatically determine what the true track is. In many systems, there may be multiple possible correlations, and the tracker tries to maintain each one as long as plausible. Note that in complex scenes, there may be dozens of erroneous cross-correlations that must eventually die or be killed off.

You may want to consult a good textbook, such as:
Multiple-target Tracking with Radar Applications by S. Blackman, Artech House
Multitarget-Multisensor Tracking by Y. Bar-Shalom, Artech House

Artech House is probably a good go-to publisher for this subject. The other large resource is IEEE, which has published tons of articles on trackers.

TTFN
faq731-376
7ofakss

Oops, also, direction should be in that list.

TTFN
faq731-376
7ofakss

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back