Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Optimisation of TEG regeneration package

Status
Not open for further replies.

I2P

Chemical
Jan 20, 2003
QA
Friends,
We have a glycol(TEG) based contactor and we also have regeneration packages for the same.I have been reading some articles on the net on various aspects of TEG systems.In one such article I read something interesting.The methane loss due to over circulation of TEG.It was good.I would like to know from others who have such systems, whether there is an outlined approach for total optimisation of TEG regeneration systems.Things like stripping gas optimisation,reboiler optimisation, etc. I would like to know what all other areas are available for optimisation.Thanks in advance

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hirenjbhatt

Our TEG process(supplied by KCC process equipment ltd.)operating parameters are as follows:
- Wet gas flow to be dehydrated : 525 MMSCFD.
- Water inlet is saturated @ inlet gas press/temp.
- TEG circulation flow : 14.66 MT/hr. @ 99.9 %wt concentration.
- Out let gas ( sales gas) dew point : -40~-45 deg.C @39.2 barg press. which is equivalent to 0.5 ib H2O/mmscf gas.
- sales gas LHV : 900 Btu/scf(min).
- Reboiler operating temp. is 204 deg.C using saturated steam (40.0 barg./251 deg.C), desuperheater is used to obtain saturated steam. Reboiler heat load ~1250 KW( @ 2.40 t/h steam flow). Reboiler temp. is limited due to the thermal degradiation of TEG at more than 204 deg.C temp.
Further increase of reboiling temp will not be effective to get desire TEG concentration (99.9 %wt.)without using stripping gas.
- Stripping gas flow is ~395 Kg/hr( 50 deg.C/35 barg. press.) ,sales gas is used as stipping gas. Uising more stripping gas is an environmental concern as well as expensive of sales gas. At higher stripping gas flow, flooding can occure in a tray column ( we have structured packing column).
Higher stripping gas flow and reboiling temp will increase dehydration effect but with the higher cost of economy and environmental problems.
Methane loss due to higher TEG circulation,as you stated , I don't have any data with me right now.

Best of luck.

Prona.

pronab, its me, hirenjbhatt, i have changed my handle to I2P instead of hirenjbhatt.Thanks for your reply,
bye
I2p(hirenjbhatt)

I2P

Ammount of water removed in TEG contractor from wet gas is 413 Kg/hr @14.66 MT/hr TEG circulation. Before entering Contractor a KOD is used to remove water from wet gas.
All others parameters are same.
Have you find a optimum reboiler operation and stripping gas used in our TEG system ?
What about your case.

Regards.

Pronab.

Dear I2P
Regeneration temp. can be maintained 180-185 deg. c instead of 204 deg. c. with sripping gas. checking of moisture content in lean TEG is must and steam flow to reboiler as well as stripping gas flow can be optimized considering glycol purity and outlet moisture content of dry gas.
We are maintaining 180-182 deg.c temp. in reboiler with 10-12 m3/hr stripping gas flow. Moisture content in lean TEG <1%.
Alok

Dear 12P,

I am Sales & Marketing Manager for KCC Process Equipment's London Office.

I reviewed your thread with interest as we are a leading supplier of Gas Dehydration Packages.

There are a number of parameters that need to be taken into consideration when designing these units, but the key ones are:
- Height of packing or number of trays in the Contactor.
- Packing or tray design
- Glycol Concentration
- Glycol Circulation Rate

Gas Dehydration Packages can be designed using industry standard simulation packages but we have not found a package that accurately models the VLE data for gas-glycol systems, glycol physical properties, and hydrocarbon solubilties in glycol.

Consequently we have developed our own design program based on in-house data which allows us to optimise the design of these packages.

If you would like to send me the operating data for your unit we can review the design and suggest some improvements to the design or method of operation. Please send your enquiry to sales@kccprocess.com

Hello,

I am in charge of marketing at Prosernat, a leading company in gas processing systems. An other way to reduce gas emissions from TEG units is to use the Drizo regeneration, based on TEG stripping with vaporized liquid hydrocarbons (instead of gas stripping). These HC can then be condensed and recycled from the top of the still column. Revamp of existing TEG can easlily be done (paper has been published in April in World Oil Magazine, on this topic). Don't hesitate to contact me for any further question.

cstreicher@prosernat.com

Best regards,

chrisST

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back