Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

organic content 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

cbs

Civil/Environmental
Jun 17, 2003
US
I am looking at some organic content test results and need to know what the percentages really mean. Is there a reference that I can review?

Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

cbs
[soapbox]
The provider of the testing results must indicate the test method(s) used to obtain them in order for correct interpretation to occur. As an example, engineering soil moisture content tests are completely different from agricultural soil moisture tests, a 'standard' Proctor isn't the same as a 'modified' Proctor, etc, etc.
This reporting must include any additional methods or techniques allowed by the test specification that were employed to obtain the result(s). For example, what size mold was used to compact the Proctor sample into? Was the >3/4" gravel replaced? How long was the CBR sample soaked prior to testing? What was the L/D ratio of the concrete compression test specimen? (whoops, not soil)[dazed]
Contact the agency that provided the test results and ask for the methods used to obtain them.

[cheers]

Organic content (OC) is an important characteristics when it comes to organic soil, especially peat. Generally, the OC is mainly for classification purposes and can be referred to previous studies that has been done.

Higher OC means less mineral content (Mineral content = 100% - OC). Usually high OC relates to very problematic soil, having very high compressibility and very low strength.

Concerning method, from reference to ASTM and BS, both outlined the ignition of soil sample in a muffle furnace at 440 C until constant mass is achieved. (The weight of ash as the mineral content) So, i don't think there wil be much trouble with standards, as these are the 2 of the most widely used standard.

Test method is still important. There are other methods floating around that don't use a muffle furnace. At least one employs hydrogen peroxide (H[sub]2[/sub]O[sub]2[/sub]) -

[pacman]

Please see FAQ731-376 by [blue]VPL[/blue] for tips on how to make the best use of Eng-Tips Fora.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back