Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Organizing files 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

cdxx139

Mechanical
Sep 19, 2009
US
Any suggestions on how to organize excel calculations? I am an HVAC engineer and try to make as many as I can, but have trouble reusing them on future projects, like a template. It seems every job, I start from scratch. I do computer calcs to get organized and be faster, save budget and make more money, but it doesn't seem to be working.

Looking to get into VBA for better efficiency, and considering using Access to somehow connect everything togather, per project. I know it can be done, just haven't figured it out yet.

What do others do to stay organized and efficient?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

CDxx139

Yes there is a better way. Your template needs to be able to automatically load small spreadsheets from disk given only the filename under the cursor and a loading macro that responds the something like "\L" as a Macro trigger. Of course the range within that filename would be the same as the filename. This way you can build a custom solution to various problems from carefully constructed spreadsheet "modules" that interconnect when properly inserted. I've had something like this running for my structural work for over 20 years. (Yeah - it's lotus 123".

Food for thought?

I work in several disciplines within civil/public works industry. As such, in simplistic terms, I have two folders one is for "projects" where all the project specific stuff is located, the other is called "general engineering" where all my accumulated reference material (and numerous spreadsheets are located). Under this GE folder, I have a folder for water, a folder for roadway, a folder for wastewater, etc. I keep a copy of all my "template" spreadsheets in their respective GE folder and when I start a new project will go to copy whatever spreadsheets I need for that project. Just have to be discplined about copying the spreadsheet to the respective project folder. I also print the calcs to pdf for keeping a record copy of what was computed. I have a lot of hidden comments and "off screen info" in my spreadsheets.

I like snorgy's idea of a good excel spreedsheet.

My personal experience with MathCad was a lot of work to get it going, only to have to do it all differently on the next job.

As far as organizing a project, i've been using MS Onenote alot lately. It took a day to get the feel for its concept, but its easy to operate. In concept, it replaces a highschool 3-ring binder with subject tabs. I create a tab, and subtabs for a project, and everything i do, letters, contract, cals, drawings, goes in to the binder under the proper tab. Its easy to do because when Onenote is installed on a computer, it installs a printer driver call "print to Onenote" so that when you print a document, you select oNenote instead of a hard printer. The software also allows you to copy/past photos, pdfs, etc.. on any page in the notebook. It also converts photo or pdf images into text for quick work searchs through the entire book.

In principle, a "standard" spreadsheet in Excel or Mathcad should have the same utility, i.e., if your new task requires changing the Mathcad sheet, then you would have to change the corresponding Excel sheet as well. I would hazard a guess that the difference may well be the frequency with which you use the two programs, and that changes you make in Excel are more transparent because you use it more often.

This may be a good place to point out that Mathcad comes with an Excel add-in, that allows integration of Mathcad sheets into Excel, and Mathcad, out-of-the-box, accepts Excel components directly in the worksheet. So it's quite easy to have hybrid Mathcad/Excel worksheets, if so desired.

TTFN

FAQ731-376

IRStuff and Snorgy - very useful organizing tips

LonnieP - I like your thinking, break it up into smaller pieces.

Jatgo - I am trying to use your system, my problem is I do updates in the job specific calculation, and could work on multiple projects at the same time, and therefore have many different revisions, some go in different direction. I think I just need to sit down and creat good template to start

etbetz - OneNote sounds like a great organizing tool, I will look into it.

Yeah I have that problem too. I usually end up customzing each spreadsheet slightly for every project. I actually create version numbers on the base sheet and when I see fit to make a template change then I'll change the base sheet and update the version number.

This is all easier said than done, because I too struggle at times to stay disciplined about the "method"

I've used Onenote as well. It's a neat program and I liked it for a while. Kind of fell out of the habit of keeping up with it though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back