Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Orientation of element coordinate system in ANSYS 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

jpblasques

Marine/Ocean
Nov 24, 2006
DK
Hi all!

The situation:
I am modelling a Marine propeller blade in Ansys. The blade outter shell or surface(don't consider the inner structure)is built in carbon fibre. I will be using Shell 99 elements for the modelling. I will be writing all comands in a script file using APDL.

The problem:
I was told to use MSC Patran instead so I can use Laminate Modeler for the fibre draping.However I would prefer to use ANSYS. In order to do so I need to do a correct fibre draping in ANSYS. I know how to orient the element coordinate system but this is not enough. I would like to know if anyone has any algorithm (written in APDL)or any other tip which will enable me to workout the orientation of the elements coordinate system in order to have a correct draping of the fibers (at least as good as the laminate modeler from MSC Patran).

Thanks in advance.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hi everyone!

Is there any reason why no one answers my question? Is it that stupid? or there's no solution?

I would really appreciate if someone could give me a hand on this one.

Thanks

I'm pretty sure there is an Ansys forum...you may want to find it and ask there. I'm familiar with composites, but not Ansys.

The question doesn't sound stupid...I've modeled complex curvature in composites and have had the same issue with other software packages. In some packages, you are able to orient the fiber vectors with a single point. In this case, you utilize the curved nature of the blade and are able to orient the fibers like you would tangential acceleration.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back