Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Orifice Plate Software 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

jboy3333

Petroleum
Mar 8, 2008
KZ
Can anyone one suggest the name and the place to purchase software that calculate the following;

restriction orifice size (given known pressure drops)

Pressurre Drops in piepwork. Etc Etc.

I do a lot of mechanical commissioning work in the oil and gas industry and this would be very helpful to make quick calculations for verification purposes or,to calculate the orifice size if we find the flows and pressures are not as per spec.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I wrote several programs such as these for the Valor Orifice Fitting, NuFlo Technologies. They are now part of the Cooper-Cameron world. You may try there.

There is a specification, API 14.3 I believe, which addresses all the equations you need. You can basically size the orifice plate to a desired pressure drop, but you need to understand the physics of the flow, that is, have very accurate chemical make-up on the working fluid.

Otherwise you can use the thermodynamic tables, as I did, for some fluid representative of yours. You can get good approximations using incompressible flow, most of the time the stream velocity is less than sonic. Depending on your accuracy requirement, this may work for you.

Kenneth J Hueston, PEng
Principal
Sturni-Hueston Engineering Inc
Edmonton, Alberta Canada

Hi Guys,

I am trying to size a valve which feeds superheated steam into our vacuum tower. As may be expected the velocities are sonic, mach 1 and greater. I want to develop a backpressure using a restriction orifice. Can anyone post the equation to use for sizing this RO. We are seeking to push a large amount of steam into the tower (20,000lb/hr) because we recently upgraded our ejector system.

Thanks in advance!

Consider using the pipe tap calculations for restriction orifices. You can obtain free flow element software from Emerson (Toolkit) and others.

Hi,

JLSeagull - thanks but my company does not have Instrument Toolkit and the website only has the Patch (Upgrade) available. I'll have to speak to my Fisher rep.

insult2injury - the main problem is with the exit velocity from the valve which our standards (GEMS) limits us to 0.3 mach.

Does anyone have the equations - i would really like to work it from first principles. I need to drop 30 psi across this RO and the outlet feeds into 4.7psia (vacuum).

Just because the valve chokes in the trim, does not mean the exit velocity will be M=1.0. If trim flow area may be significantly less than the outlet area, allowing your M=0.3 criteria to be met. Alternately, the control valve could be furnished with a diffuser on the outlet. Let your control valve vendors know what your requirements are and have them advise what they can provide. Obviously, you have to keep sight on the bottom line price since the more requirements you put on the CV, the more it's likely to cost at which point the RO may be the lower cost alternative. Don't forget to check the minimum flow and low dP requirements through the line, so that the CV/RO combination can pass it.

I2I

You might try and obtain the Spirax Mitech software. This is a valve sizing program that allows the input of up to three orifice plates downstream of the valve. The ROs are there to allow pressure let down and avoid cavtitation of the valve.

The software will predict the RO Cv , upstream and downstream pressures & noise across the plate.

Mitech also have a tortuos path globe valve with stacked disc for severe service applications.

CCI also do such valves but I dont know if their software is available in the market place.

insult2injury,

I think you will find that the Fisher and Valtek trims are drilled cage types. These do not give the same velocity controlas a toruous path type valve. When used on turbine bypass or boiler drains the CCI, MItech and Copes Vulcan offer a bettter solution. I think that these are the only companies who offer a leak tight guarantee.

stanier:

Fisher (WisperFlo)
Valtek (TigerTooth and Stealth)

These are stacked disc not drilled cage trims; however, I do agree that I wouldn't put them in the same category as some of their competitor's trims for some severe services.

I2I

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back