Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

ORP analyzer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zineb2008

Industrial
Jul 19, 2013
Good morning,

What are the most important parameters to take into consideration (or to check) when choosing an ORP analyzer?

Thanks in advance.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Maybe you might try to explain what an ORP analyzer is, and what you are attempting to do with it?

TTFN
faq731-376
7ofakss

Need help writing a question or understanding a reply? forum1529

ORP is oxidation-reduction potential, similar in appearance and operation to a pH probe. I have little true understanding of their exact purpose in life, but are used to measure the strength of certain redox chemical compounds. Having spent an early part of my life fixing them, the most important thing is to select for maintainability. Other than that I believe calibration drift would be second on the list.

Yes, maintainability. Self-cleaning (shedding of rags, etc...) in a wastewater stream is nice, if that is the application. If you can tell us the application, you might get better answers.

I've had good luck with Burkert devices, but my experience is small and limited to municipal wastewater.

Best to you,

Goober Dave

Haven't see the forum policies? Do so now: Forum Policies

Hi,

For the application, i have one ORP measurement in the inlet of trains of reverse osmosis system (desalination plant).Whenever the system detects a higher ORP, the SMB (sodium metabisulphite)system shall be started.

thanks.

ORP instruments need to be calibrated just like pH instruments. The probe and electronics technology is very similar between the two. A frequent use of ORP is to measure the amount of disinfectant (chlorine) in a solution. Another common use is to measure the amount of aeration in sewage treatment.

If you are look at ORP instruments, I suggest getting units from the same manufacturer as your pH units.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back