Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

oscillating-knife cutting (ATOM Flash cut)

Status
Not open for further replies.

brianlaser

Mechanical
Nov 13, 2002
US
Does anyone have experience with an oscillating-knife cutting system such as the ATOM Flash cut. I am considering purchasing an oscillating-knife cutting system to die cut .12" thick Grafoil (flexible graphite) material. The machine will be used for regular production. We may use the machine 24 hours a day in order to meet our demand. I have considered other types of die cutting, but have been unsuccessful in cutting this thick of material. Rotary and steel rule die cutting can produce parts up to .040". After that the parts will become deformed. I have also tried male-female die cutting with no success. My question is has anyone used an oscillating knife cutting system on a full-time basis? Does the machine need to be repaired frequently?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Are these 2D parts? If so then abrasive water jet (AWJ) or just a water jet might be the right tool. Also since this would be a CNC machine the "tooling" is electronic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back