OSHA Handrail Height 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

NE12345

Structural
Jun 12, 2014
US
Per OSHA 1910.23(e)(1)
A standard railing shall consist of top rail, intermediate rail, and posts, and shall have a vertical height of 42 inches nominal from upper surface of top rail to floor, platform, runway, or ramp level.

My question is has OSHA ever defined "nominal" for a range when dealing with the top handrail. I am currently working on a job to make some hand rail meet OSHA. The current hand rails vary from approx. 41 1/2" to 42". The customer needs something stated nominal means it can be slightly lower so I am looking of something from OSHA already released while I pose the question on the OSHA website. Any help is appreciated.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I have always insisted on the 42" in design.....from a practical and engineering perspective a 1/2" variance in this case makes no differnce at all...but that is not the issue here...I have always tried to eliminate the possibility of encountering an inspector down the road who would insist on the 42"...if it is in the design stage, I would go with the 42"..if already fabricated, then check with the local code enforcement for a pass/waiver....
SRE...you may be correct in it being legal...but how would one go about confirming that?

I wonder whether 42" was derived from some calculations or empirical study of the C[sub]g[/sub] heights of the majority of Americans, or if it's somewhat arbitrary.

As an aside, you can't rely on AISC tolerances on handrails because they are specifically excluded under the definition of "Structural Steel".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back