Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

OT: compact, high HP motor for BA kitchen blender.

Status
Not open for further replies.

bob8907

Aerospace
Apr 2, 2010
US
OK, a bit of an off the wall question here. I am considering throwing a big motor in my blender for the heck of it. I want to find something used and cheap since this may not go all that well..

Target is 2HP min, 25K rpm. I am thinking AC/DC type motors since they usually have no rpm limit to speak of.

Any ideas on what device I should steal one from?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The problem is that the blades and their bearings are only barely able to handle the original motor. Furthermore the blade coupling to the blender contents is the real issue. Most blenders never bog down do to lack of power. They just uncouple their blades from the mixture and spin them freely. I see no advantage to adding more hp.

Keith Cress
kcress -

My motor now gets so hot that I am sure if I put a meter on it, is pulling WAY more than plate and bogs out to nearly nothing... Certainly not "clutching" to maintain rpms. No balls... That is 500 watts but I am sure that is all of 200 actually going into the blades.

I am just wondering where the universal (ac/dc) motors of this size or common. wood routers usually don't go this big. I was wondering about treadmill motors but not sure of their design. I want to say DYI CNC wood router guys are using them though so that would indicate high rpm..

More horsepower will generate more heat. 2 hp is not unusual for a pro router. I think the decoupling that Keith mentions is due to cavitation of the mixing blades in thick fluids. Bogging down the motor indicates it is not cavitating and itwill quickly burn-up you motor. What are you mixing? A blender may not me the appropriate tool.

LOL. We are going electric, not air but I agree, air would sing.

Right now I am thinking about a circular saw motor. I can find the saws for nothing. Just wondering if they are a universal type motor.

Over here in the Old World our 1/2" routers are approaching 2000W, which is aboput 2.5 HP. The RPM would be a little low but could you re-blade the machine? Keep away from vacuum cleaner motors, they are so overstressed that if they are run at full voltage without the howling gale of cooling air that normally passes through them they tend to catch fire.

----------------------------------
image.php

If we learn from our mistakes I'm getting a great education!

What rpm do you consider low??? Routers usually spin at 15K plus and usually more like 25K.

I think I need to school up on universal motors but as I understand it, they can actually spin to the point of self destruct unless limiting is used. Also, I am sure for given designs, there are rpm limits. I am looking at a motor right now that is spinning at 6K unloaded. I am worried if I spin it too much higher, it may not like that.

How are these motors typically governed and is there any way to tell how much rpm they can handle? I am confident the bearings will be fine. I would be most concerned with the windings on the rotor.

Well, my router runs at 9,000 rpm below your desired speed. That seems a little 'low'... [2thumbsup]

As for running one to destruction - try putting one in a vacuum chamber and see what happens with no windage. Put the results on YouTube for us!

----------------------------------
image.php

If we learn from our mistakes I'm getting a great education!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back