Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Other classes of CTs than P - advantages

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mat_pe

Electrical
Jan 20, 2022
PL
What are the advantages of use CTs with class other than "P"? I mean PR, PX, TPS, TPX, TPY, TPZ classes. I know the difference between them but couldn't find any info about pluses of using it. Have any of you had the opportunity to work with CTs with these classes?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Class PR is same as Class P.
Class PX etc. are chosen depending on acceptable saturation characteristic of CT. Systems with high X/R require T-class CTs (T stands for transient performance).
PX class are specified for high impedance differential protection.

RRaghunath said:
Class PR is same as Class P.
Class PX etc. are chosen depending on acceptable saturation characteristic of CT. Systems with high X/R require T-class CTs (T stands for transient performance).
PX class are specified for high impedance differential protection.
Thank you for your answer.
I have supplemetary question - what will happen when we use "P" class instead of CT with a different class(more recommended). Will it negative affect on work of protection devices hardly?

If you could bring a specific case, I will be able to understand your concern.
At the moment, your concern is not clear.
Generally speaking, protection relay manuals include a section detailing CT requirements and it is best to adhere to those requirements while ordering CTs for trouble-free performance of protection.
You will find in the relay manuals that most of the protections can work well with P class as well as with PX class CTs.

I have been caught specifying P class CTs for differential schemes which have turned out not to be adequate.
Now, I specify PX class wherever it is possible to do so. The problem with P class is that you have no control over the winding resistance which is critical to the onset and severity of CT saturation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back