Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Out of practice EIT - shoudl I get a PE?

Status
Not open for further replies.

zizzerzazzer

Civil/Environmental
Nov 5, 2012
US
Hi all,
Backstory: I worked for several years as a Civil EIT in a consulting firm, applied for and was approved to sit for the PE, but before I took the exam I switched jobs. The new job (now 3 years in) is peripherally related to CE, but does not require a PE and does not require any 'real' engineering work. Now I'm on the fence as to whether I should study and take the PE exam, or be content that my undergrad work got me a job that I am happy in.

The voice on one shoulder says I should get my PE license: to keep as just-in-case insurance for reentry into engineering in the future (never know in these economic times what may happen), to finish what I started when I began my undergraduate program, to potentially use as a tool to increase my earnings ability (resume builder). The voice on the other shoulder says: that the last thing I want to do over the next 5 months is devote my time to re-learning everything I've forgotten (it goes Fast!), that I'm happy in my career now and shouldn't be driven by fear, that I can reenter the CE field as an EIT (albeit, older EIT) if I ever need to, that getting my license now would just be for ego, and that it would be essentially meaningless if I wasn't actually a practicing engineer and keeping my skills up.

Thoughts? Would any of you that have been in the field for awhile hire an older employee as an EIT? I've been undecided on this issue for years now and need to come to some type of resolution.

Thanks!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Would it really be just for ego? Or could it be something that garnishes respect in the CE circles you currently are affiliated with?

Since you only mention being peripherally associated with Civil, it's tough to tell for sure how this could play out. For instance, if you work for a proprietary engineering company and you are selling a product related to civil's but not that you are doing the design/engineering behind, I think a PE could garnish you a lot of respect when you deal with civil's who are also PE's...kind of like you are a member of the club. But without knowing more about what you are doing, it's tough to say this for sure.

I would have to say go for it. It's never going to be easier to get than it is now and could garnish some respect in the meantime.

PE, SE
Eastern United States

"If a builder builds a house for someone, and does not construct it properly, and the house which he built falls in and kills its owner, then that builder shall be put to death!"
~Code of Hammurabi

Get your PE. I've heard lamenting about "I should have gotten my PE when...."

I never hear lamenting "I never should have gotten that PE!"

I would definitely go for it. It's all about keeping your options open. You never know what the future holds.

For my first 12 years in the work force I worked for/with a steel fabricator/contractor. I was told by many that they were a great company to work for and that they would be around forever. After many bad decisions by management and lack of oversight by the owners the company went bankrupt a few months ago. I could see it coming for a long time but I was told to keep my mouth shut. Everyone was shown the door(an absolute horrible experience). Had I not attained my PE I would not have as many available options as I do now.

At worst you are out a few hundred bucks every other year to maintain your license.

SteelPE,

A couple hundred dollars a year is not inaccurate (depending on the state), but Ohio is $40 every other year. That's cheap insurance any way you look at it.

I know the worst one I have at the moment I think is $300 every other year. I'm not up on my fees across the country, but that isn't horrible. You should be able to take the deduction on your taxes as well.

Thanks for the feedback, everyone. It's what I was "afraid" I would hear - in the sense that I'm now kissing my free time goodbye for several months! I've already started shopping around for review courses. Gotta go crack the books now.

If you got cash and a day off from work to burn, you could take the test with just a short review the weekend or two before the test.

If you don't pass and your employer doesn't care (or doesn't even know), what's the harm?

If you pass... great!

- Steve Perry
This post is designed to provide accurate and authoritative information in regard to the subject matter covered. It is offered with the understanding that the author is not engaged in rendering engineering or other professional service. If you need help, get help, and PAY FOR IT.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back