Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

outer RC slab - dilatations for crack control?

Status
Not open for further replies.

greznik91

Structural
Feb 14, 2017
SI
The RC slab will be exposed to the weather (parking lot + foundations for containers).
Slab will be 250 mm thick. Since it is prety large there I suspect there should be some dilatations,
so there will be some cracks control?

This is what I have in mind:

RC_SLAB_chmyhu.png

RC_SLAB_2_yntyio.png

RC_SLAB_3_g8n2sj.png

What do you think?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Depending on your environment, you might want to prevent gravel falling into your crack inducer with a sealant or filler board. With temperature fluctuations, the sawcut/ etc. can narrow with local spalling when gravel fills the gap. Crack inducer/ sawcut should be 25-33% of the slab depth.

Have you put dowels across those joints or something else? Intersecting dowels lock up, so you usually need to interrupt the dowels in one direction at intersecting joints and allow dowels in the other direction to continue.

Yes, there will be dowels in the middle of the slab thicknes.

Would you do the sawcut across the part of the slab that is on the different level than the rest of the slab as shown bellow?

SAWCUT_pnoqea.png

That arrangement is a bit unusual in slab pavements. Your lengthways sawcut joint needs to continue through the dropped slab.

I wonder whether you will have stress concentrations at the corners of your dropped slab.

Here are a few rules of thumb I follow when laying out control joints:

1. Max panel side ratio = 2:1 max
2. Joint spacing = 3*slab thickness in inches = joint spacing in feet
3. Avoid narrow or sharp panel corners where multiple joints meet. (Keep the angle between adjacent joints 60 degrees or more).
4. Joints should intersect at a common point. Avoid "dead end" or "tee shaped" joint arrangements in plan view
5. Provide joints at any changes in slab thickness or abrupt changes in elevation.
6. Provide joints to the corners of around any slab penetrations or protrusions (openings, columns, pits, equipment pads, etc)

I am sure there are more good tips out there, but those above should get you close.

Side note: I had to Google "dilatations" and based on the definition I found, I cannot understand what you are intending it to mean. Is that some local structural jargon?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back