Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

outlet manifold pipe sizing 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

faridg22

Petroleum
Feb 24, 2012
DZ
hi
i want to determine what necessary size for outlet of manifold to carry a given flow rate of crude oil

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Until you develop some awareness that providing meaningful help with a technical question requires some technical information the only answer you will likely get is: Good Luck.

JoeChem
thanks for repling

ok
you are right
the idea is to install a new manifold to collect about 12000 bopd, and we have existing 8 in flowline, i am not sure wether 8 in is engouph ot not, i did made some calculations using pipedata software but the results was to use 6",which is litlle bit small.
what i want is very simple or concise procedure to determin the economic diameter
best rgards

ok

it is a new manifold to be installed, we have existing 8" pipe we might use it, it depends on calculation.
the flow rate is about 12000 BOPD, i did some calculation with pipe data software but it seems not correct
all i need is a concise and understood method and formulas to determine the diameter necessary to transport this quantity of oil.
by the way such calculation should be done a process engineer, am i right.
regards

How much pressure drop can you afford. What about revisions velocities. Answer those questions and you'll get your required diameter

Faridg, you need to look at the length of line and the flow and pressure drop you can tolerate. You then check a couple of line sizes. Since the pressure drop varies as the ratio of the IDs raised to the 5th power, you really only find you have a couple of choices.

For your question, will a 6" line pass 12000 BPD with a dP of 2 bar (the lower of the range you gave) over its given length? 12000 BPD is 350 gpm. In a 6" line this is less than 4 ft/sec.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back