Outline of a Detail View

Status
Not open for further replies.

tk369

Mechanical
Dec 6, 2002
US
Quick question:
How do I show the view boundary of a rectangular detail view? A circular detail view shows a phamtom-font boundary, whereas a rectangular one shows none.
I am running NX-6.
Thanks for your reply(s)..tk

ted kralovic

VisVSA, NX-6, Macbook, iPhone 3GS, Garmin 765T, Garmin Forerunner 405, Garmin eTrex Vista Hcx, among others

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I do not believe there one other than circular. If you must have it, draw the boundary as View Dependant geometry (Expand the view, create the boundary manually), then edit the view boundary to be Bound by Objects and select those view dependent curves as the view boundary. Archaic, but it works.

Tim Flater
NX Designer
NX 7.5.4.4 MP2
WinXP Pro x64 SP2
Intel Xeon 2.53 GHz 6GB RAM
NVIDIA Quadro 4000 2GB

I made the rectangular detail boundary in my parent view, and added the detail view on the drawing. I expanded the detail view, added splines as required, then changed the view to break-line/detail.

As soon as that was complete, the "rectangle" in the parent view took the shape of the break-line/detail geometry in the detail view. Not archaic. NEAT! thanks for the feedback..tk

ted kralovic

VisVSA, NX-6, Macbook, iPhone 3GS, Garmin 765T, Garmin Forerunner 405, Garmin eTrex Vista Hcx, among others

SYMPTOM/PROBLEM
---------------
How to clip the DETAIL view to an odd or irregular shape to create an irregular shaped border.

SOLUTION/WORKAROUND
-------------------
1. With the cursor hovered over the DETAIL view, 'MouseButton3(MB3)-->Expand'.
NOTE: If the 'Expand' option is missing under MB3, perform first a 'MB3-->Convert to Independent Detail'.
2. Use Basic Curves to draw the shape of the desired border.
NOTE: If Basic Curves is not available in the 'Insert' menu, customize the toolbar to add it.
3. When finished drawing the shape needed, hover the cursor over the view border, 'MB3-->Expand' to UnExpand the view.
4. Hover the cursor over the DETAIL view border, ‘MB3-->View Boundary’.
5. Select the ‘Break Line/Detail’ option.
6. Select the closed boundary that is desired.
NOTE: If the boundary created in step 2 is not selectable because it is outside the current border, toggle the option to 'Manual Rectangle', then create a large rectangle around the DETAIL view to reveal the desired border. Then, change the option back to ‘Break Line/Detail’ and select the desired closed boundary.
7. Select 'Apply' on the View Boundary dialog.
8. (optional) If the same border geometry is desired on the parent as created on the DETAIL view, toggle the 'Label on Parent' to 'Boundary'.
This should apply the shape of the DETAIL view boundary to the parent view.
9. OK the View Boundary dialog.

Thank you...

Using NX 8 and TC9.1

Yes, I originally meant Breakline/Detail. Bound By Objects will just give the boundary an idea of where to stop, not the actual shape of the view. My apologies for the mis-information. The effect on the parent view is something new, I believe; either that, or I've overlooked that option for years.

Tim Flater
NX Designer
NX 7.5.4.4 MP2
WinXP Pro x64 SP2
Intel Xeon 2.53 GHz 6GB RAM
NVIDIA Quadro 4000 2GB

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back