Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Outlook for HVAC design engineers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

800Logs

Mechanical
Jan 15, 2017
US
The outlook for mechanical engineers in general
Does anyone know of more detailed sources other than bls.gov? It would be useful to know specifically what the outlook is for mechanical engineers-hvac design.

It seems like hiring is pretty slow right now. I am having a hard time even getting interviews. What do you guys think, will things get better with Trump as president?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Politics, unless directly related to an HVAC topic, should not be part of this forum.

It depends on location, your actual knowledge and experience. If you are a good engineer, you find a good job, if not, it will be harder. if you lie in a depressed area, it is harder.
do you have multiple skills (i.e. design energy simulation, commissioning) or just one? what design experience do you have? for example is your experience designing stripmall RTUs and you apply for a job primarily dealing with 1000 ton chillers?

No matter what statistics or forecast, your mileage may vary.

I am not an HVAC engineer. In general, it is harder for young people to find jobs. There will always be demand for HVAC engineers and engineers in general. It is hard to get interviews when you are starting off. I am not sure if you are in that case.

It is important that you go in person to the various companies in person to sell yourself in person and then follow up with a resume online. I would even look at travelling to another city and sell yourself to your target audience. By going in person it tells the Owner you are hungry and they will be impressed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back