Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Outlook send and receive

Status
Not open for further replies.

metman

Materials
Feb 18, 2002
US
Just installed ms office 2003 pro.

currently Outlook Express is default email.

In Outlook from help to learn how to send/receive went to Tools/but no "send/receive" available there.

Therefore guessed that Outlook needs to be default email before it will give me option to send/receive. So in Outlook from help went to Tools/Options/Other/General and Outlook was already checked as default but obviously it is not the default.

1) When I click on Tools, why does it not have send/receive?

2) Outlook says it is default yet it is not...now what?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Have you configured Outlook with proper email account information?

Instruite
--------------------------------------
Ideas that works
Concepts that sells

Looks like maybe you have me on the right track but not sure. From help went to Tools/E-mail accounts/View or change existing e-mail accounts. Nothing there so clicked the Add button which gives me 5 choices. I am guessing that POP3 is what I need but one of the others is HTTP which I see reference to in certain places.

1) Should I choose POP3 and see what happens?

2) After Outlook is set as default, is there an easy way to transfer Address book from Outlook Express to Outlook?

1)The type of mail service depends upon what you are connecting to.
for instance:
AOL will use an IMAP account.
Hotmail will be a http account

2)In Outlook, look under FILE - IMPORT AND EXPORT

Remember...
[navy]"If you don't use your head,[/navy] [idea]
[navy]your going to have to use your feet."[/navy]

meintsi,
I went to: File/import and export and imported Outlook Express. Then I clicked on Tools,Send/Receive which was previously not available before importing Outlook Express and the following message came up:

Task 'PeoplePC Online - Receiving' reported error (0x800CCC18) : 'Your e-mail server rejected your login with Secure Password Authentication. Verify your account properties. Under Tools, click E-mail accounts.'

Went to: Tools, click E-mail accounts

Clicked Add a new email account and filled in the info. I am not sure about where it says;

incoming mail server (POP3)________
outgoing mail server (SMPT)________

So I typed in (POP3) in the blank to the right of it and
(SMPT) to the right of that. Next I clicked on Test Accouont Settings and got an error message regarding both outgoing and incoming mail with a closing comment as follows: Verify your port and SSL settings in More Settings under the Advanced tab. So I went there but do not know how to verify.

I am surprised someone has not admonished me to go online to ms and get this help. Sorry to be such a pain but I am so used to getting help at eng-tips it is usually the first place i go.

You need to go to your Internet provider support page to find the correct IP address for the servers. Mindspring servers look like:
pop.mindspring.com
smtp.mindspring.com

TTFN

What email account you are using?

Instruite
Ideas that works
Concepts that sells

IRstuff: OK, did that and they apparently set these for me after I emailed them and they informed me what they should be. there is more to tell but first I will answer

InstruEngineer: Currently I am using Outlook Express because I can't get Outlook to work.

Everything seems to be set OK according to the Test email except it says I should uncheck SPA, Secure Password Authentication. I have to go through numerous steps to check this (which I could type all the details here if I thought it would do any good) but SPA is UNchecked.

Metman, if you can start at the beginning, somebody can walk you through this or point you to the info.

Essential information:

What is your ISP?
What email account are you trying to set up?
(Some people don't use the email service provided by their ISP.)
Yahoo and Hotmail, for example, are POP3; AOL is IMAP. That's about all you need to know about the email server.

If giving this information here compromises your privacy, most ISPs provide an information page on setting up your email client. Have you checked HELP at your email site?

I believe that you have to pay an annual fee to Hotmail and Yahoo in order to access email through your Outlook client. The free services, to the best of my knowledge, must by accessed as direct webmail.

You have the option with any ISP of simply accessing your account through WEB mail without using a client.

I'm not sure what's going on that has made setting up OUTLOOK or OUTLOOK EXRESS so problematic. My preference is for Thunderbird; others like to use Incredimail. Both clients are freeware, and the basics of configuring them are the same as for AOL. There isn't much to know other than whether your dealing with POP3 or IMAP.
If you will send the name of your email service, I'm sure somebody can find the instruction page for configuring your OUTLOOK or OUTLOOK EXPRESS client for you. Usually the email "HELP" system in whatever email service you're using will give detailed information regarding client setup and configuration.

Here are the instructions for AOL using OUTLOOK EXPRESS:

To create a new e-mail account in Outlook Express

Sign on to AOL.
Open Outlook Express. (If Outlook Express is not your default mail client, you may be prompted to specify whether you want to use it as the default by clicking OK).
From the Outlook Express Tools menu, click Accounts.
In the Internet Accounts dialog box, click Add and then click Mail.
In the Internet Connection Wizard, in the Display name field, enter your name as you would like it to appear on your outgoing e-mail messages.
Click Next.
In the E-mail address field, enter your full e-mail address, e.g., GabbyGrace@aol.com.
Click Next.
On the E-mail Server Names screen, select IMAP from the drop-down menu.
In the Incoming mail server field, enter: imap.aol.com.
In the Outgoing mail server field, enter: smtp.aol.com.
Click Next.
On the Internet Mail Logon screen, enter your AOL screen name in the Account name field.
Enter the password for your AOL account in the Password field.
If you want Outlook Express to save your password, leave the Remember password check box selected.
Click Next.
Click Finish.
To configure your Outlook Express e-mail account

When you are returned to the Internet Accounts dialog box, click the Mail tab. (If the Internet Accounts dialog box is not open, click the Tools menu and then click Accounts).
Select your AOL IMAP account.
Click Properties.
In the Properties dialog box, click the Servers tab.
In the Outgoing Mail Server section, click the My server requires authentication check box.
Click Apply.
Click the Advanced tab.
In the Outgoing mail (SMTP): field, change the number that displays to 587.
Click Apply.
Click the IMAP tab.
In the Special Folders section, click the Store special folders on IMAP server check box to deselect it.
Click Apply.
Click OK.
Click Close.
Notes

If you receive a message prompting you to download folders from the mail server, click Yes.

tdsergito@aol.com

If your using peoplepc they have a tool that sets up your mail client automatically. You may have to reinstall their software. I tried everything NOT to install their software but it self installed the first time I logged on and setup my outlook for me. I can walk you thru the mail setting if you need. I have AOL (imap), PeoplePC (pop3), gmail (pop3) and yahoo (http).

Thanks for all your suggesions. I am placing this on the back burner for now and just use Outlook Esperess which works fine. eventually I want to use Outlook since it has some tools that Express does not have.

Now that I have my office cleaned -- it was a nightmare -- I will invite a friend to come and hold my hand to set up Outlook.

I know the feeling so well...

No wonder that Outlook also is known as Lock-out and that any Custom set-up often ends in a Customer upset ;-)

metman ... When in Outlook, go to File > Import & Export which should open a box with six options. The last two should be Import Internet Mail Account Settings and Import Internet Mail and Addresses

Selecting those two in sequence should have you up & running in Outlook with all the same settings & email as OE.

[cheers]
Making the best use of this Forum. faq559-716
How to get answers to your SW questions. faq559-1091
Helpful SW websites every user should be aware of. faq559-520

Cor: Thanks. It appears to be working. Sent an email to my son for a test. That was too easy but I'm for easy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back