Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Output Vector graphic to produce artwork?

Status
Not open for further replies.

K3RSH

Military
Sep 27, 2007
GB
Does anyone know how i can save/convert a solidworks part into a vector file format e.g. PDF true vector or .EPS??

Im designing Labels and artworks for products and the label manufacturer has to re-draw them using Coreldraw or illustrator. which i understand, but is causing problems as they keep making mistakes when re-drawing them!!

Id like to output a file to PDF that is not just a screen dump (Raster image) so that they can manufacture directly from that file.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

One way of doing this is to export the solid works file to dxf corel and illustrator can import dxf. Second route would be to create a drawing then print to file it as suggested on a pdf printer or postscript printer.

I know what you mean but both methods you mention mean loosing the art content.

Im trying to maintain Fonts and colours, if i go to DXF or a drawing im just giving them lines with no colour or thickness.

Adobe have had it sussed for years. if you produce artwork in illustrator or photoshop it is vector by nature.

I need to get it from solidworks into vector without buying illustrator or correl. i want to go straight to PDF??

Did you try "Save as --> PDF"? Put your model into a SW drawing and do this.

On older versins of SW, PDF's os drawings revert to raster-only if there are any shaded views on the drawing. All views must be wirefrrame to get vector output. This has been remedied in later versions of SW.

[bat]Honesty may be the best policy, but insanity is a better defense.[bat]
-SolidWorks API VB programming help

K3RSH,

Can you create an outline drawing of your artwork?

Create the drawing. Move the outline to an artwork layer. Fill in the artwork, including the text, with a solid hatch. Turn off the artwork layer. Save as PDF.

Artwork!

JHG

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back