Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

OUTPUT VOLTAGE TEMPERATURE TRANSDUCER

Status
Not open for further replies.

major

Industrial
Apr 12, 2002
US
I have some questions on what internal components could affect the Output Voltage of a Temperature Transducer. In particular causing the output to spike and than go to 0 or just to go directly to 0 or no voltage output. My background is mechanical, but I have been tasked with solving this one and electronics is not my strong suit. Any information would be greatly appreciated to help me at least get pointed in the right direction and concentrate my search on the correct components.

Thanks,

Major

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You might try posting your question in the 'automotive sensor/actuator engineering' forum. This type of problem comes up on occasion.

Rod

A bit more detail might help. What type of transducer? What is the app?

Thermocouple? Resistance? IC junction ? Remotely amplified/conditioned? The common temperature sensor, often used in autos is just a slug of silicon carbide or similar. The resistance decreases as the temp increases. It's hard to come up with a failure mechanism that would fit your case if one of the more common sensors was being used - other than bad wiring. Radio freq interference also can cause sensor sigs to go bananas.

That's my short list unless more detail is known.

Hello, sometimes this happens. Is giving you 0 but where, at the output of the sensor? in the data adquisition systems? What type of sensor is? you have to give more details.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back