Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Outside Air Damper Leakage Solutions 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

yinthenovice

Mechanical
Jul 6, 2009
US
I have some really old outside air dampers in office buildings . Maybe 15% leakge or so when fully closed.

I'm looking to go to low-leak dampers or else just go cheap and add some blade and edge seals on the current ones.

My question is this , has anyone out there had any experience with these low - leak dampers ? I am concerned about sick building syndrome .

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Low leak dampers have no bearing on sick building syndrome, except perhaps making it more difficult to set minimum outside air on differential pressure and burning money.

I'd recommend looking at ASHRAE 90.1. Depending on the climate zone, you should be looking at anywhere from 4 to 10 CFM/SF at 1.0 IWG. If the dampers are bad, I'd also recommend looking at linkage/actuator.

I have had lots of experience with low - leak dampers. You can get them from several companies in any size you want. I have seen lots of Ruskin and Tamco personally and they seal really tight and nice. How that affects your sick building syndrome worries I dont know, but the dampers will seal up nice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back